Porcelaine slip on White stoneware body

Lucia Matos

If you make a deflocculated slip i.e. thick slip then add a few drops of sodium silicate or darvan , yhis makes it brushable with less water content.

Lightly dampen pot inside and out, yhen brush on

But depends..

Test this with an unimpotant pot.

Too dry pot , slip may bloat away in patches. 

I do this and it works fine ..

Think Callie does too

@Callie Beller Diesel

On 9/1/2021 at 11:21 AM, Callie Beller Diesel said:

It depends on the combination you’re using, but yes. If you can compare shrinkage rates between the two clays you want to use and have them be within a percent or two, you should be fine. Pay attention to the wet shrinkage rates as well as overall.

I am using Standard 630 and 710 stoneware. I checked the Standard website and was surprised to see that the shrinkage rate difference between the 630 (white stoneware) and the 356 (porcelain) is 0.5 percent only (13.0% to 13.5%). For the 710, (dark stoneware) the difference is 2.0%. I thought the difference would be so much more. Thanks @Callie Beller Diesel!!!

On 9/2/2021 at 5:05 PM, Lucia Matos said:

I am using Standard 630 and 710 stoneware. I checked the Standard website and was surprised to see that the shrinkage rate difference between the 630 (white stoneware) and the 356 (porcelain) is 0.5 percent only (13.0% to 13.5%). For the 710, (dark stoneware) the difference is 2.0%. I thought the difference would be so much more. Thanks @Callie Beller Diesel!!!

I have found the shrinkage rate of 365 porcelain to actually be about 15%. If you want to make a deflocculated slip, dry out some of your clay and I'll show you how in class next week.

15 hours ago, neilestrick said:

I have found the shrinkage rate of 365 porcelain to actually be about 15%. If you want to make a deflocculated slip, dry out some of your clay and I'll show you how in class next week.

Yes, that sounds great, Neil. Thank you!!!!!!

Have a good weekend!

Archived