Bubbles in dipping glaze

Hi!

I am trying to use dipping glaze for the first time and running into some issues. I mixed 15 lbs of Mayco stoneware zinc free clear with the recommended 1 pint of distilled water to 1 lb dry glaze. I let the dry glaze slake and then mixed it. I left the glaze for about 2 days and came today to dip some pieces. The glaze had separated slightly so I mixed it again, wiped down my bisqued piece with a wet sponge and dipped it into the glaze for 1-2 seconds as the packaging instructed. The piece is covered in bubbles and the surface of my dipping glaze is also covered in bubbles. Is the glaze too thick? I added about 8 oz more of water to see if that helped but the bubbles are still there. Will these bubbles disappear once the piece is fired or will it damage the final product? Should I keep adding water until they dissipate or vigorously mix to see if they go away? Please help! 

Thanks

IMG_3825.jpg

IMG_3824.jpg

IMG_3822.jpg

56 minutes ago, Mark C. said:

use your fingers and rub out the bubbles when glaze is dry

its hard to tell thickness from a photo-you can use a needle tool to guage how thick it is

Thank you! So if I just rub out the bubbles the final product should be fine? 

Do you have any guesses why the dipping glaze has so many bubbles or is this normal? 

Some glaze ingredients can be a little foamy in the bucket. It’s not super unusual, but it can be a nuisance. Whether the bubbles will smooth out in the firing depends on the glaze, and how fluid it is in the kiln. If bubbles like this cause application issues, you can either spritz the surface of the recently stirred glaze with a little rubbing alcohol so they pop, or just smooth them out with a finger once applied.

If the glaze is applied to thick thgis will not help that but as Callie noted above keeping bubbles from the surface is best-next best is smoothing them out-you are aiming for a smooth application in the long run

Cheap hair spray squirted onto bubbles in bucket dispels the bubbles.

Any remaining bubbles on ware, as above.

Glaze layer looks thick. Shorter dip time?

If you have test tiles, take a small measured amount of your mixed glaze , place a known quantity in a few cups, dilute with measured amounts , dip your test tiles with the same amount of time in the dip. Fire.

Continually diluting your big bucket will mean you may stuff up your big bucket.

Specific gravity may be your friend.

What cone are you bisquing to?

@olivia.ixi read your directions from mayco.   it seems to me that you are mixing powder to water at an equal percentage.   there was a discussion on proportions years ago and i remember the consensus was that starting with about 2/3 water to 100 % powder is a closer to perfect ratio.    some adjustment might still be necessary but 60 to 100 is good.

you do not mention sieving the glaze once you made it.  some potters use higher mesh sieves but i have found that 60 mesh works on most glazes.

Archived