"Painting" with underglazes?

shawnhar

How close can you get to an oil paining using underglazes? 

Iv'e never painted anything, except maybe in art class in high school but I don't remember doing it, I'm sure we must have at some point.

Anyway I've been watching utube videos and "attempted" to recreate a landscape(ish) feel on a test pot, mostly sky. Some of it went pretty well and at a distance it looks really cool, but the underglazes don't mix and blend like the paints do in the videos. Can you add things like oils or mix them like (one color on one side of the brush, another on the other side) type techniques, or is it all "out the window" so to speak because underglazes will never behave like oil paint?388245831_underglazepaintingtest1.thumb.jpg.ae762f188a0bd1491ec958ee1ca24695.jpg

You can "water" them down with brushing medium to make them flow more. I've used Vince Pitelka's recipe which is: 2 parts non-toxic antifreeze (propylene glycol) + 2 parts water + 1 part CMC liquid. (CMC liquid is 30 grams of dry CMC in 1 qt very hot water, let it sit for a couple days then stir it up)

edit: I found this also slows down the drying time.

Brushing medium definitely worth it. Maybe Single color on a background and wash type painting, then simpler two or three color. But yes you can paint many interesting things using underglazes, China paint, even multiple layers of lowfire glaze such as stroke and coat. (Beer Stein below) It takes practice, imagination and you will adapt to some of its limitations to suit your painting skills. Nice mug!

Start simple, washes are probably easiest and you will progress into your style.  A few ideas or food for thought below. If you enjoy drawing, pencil in your scene first it can help with accent / mix / wash choices.

65BE33F2-7E97-4EC7-8346-2AA47BC37D84.jpeg

3BD44B2F-9832-4B4E-8DF3-F55894C835E9.jpeg

9006F226-A098-4B16-953B-4ED04116753B.jpeg

EE42AE10-9710-4C51-8FD8-7904366B80CE.jpeg

AAD79010-FF98-489A-850F-EA61CBB3578C.jpeg

11 hours ago, Min said:

You can "water" them down with brushing medium to make them flow more. I've used Vince Pitelka's recipe which is: 2 parts non-toxic antifreeze (propylene glycol) + 2 parts water + 1 part CMC liquid. (CMC liquid is 30 grams of dry CMC in 1 qt very hot water, let it sit for a couple days then stir it up)

edit: I found this also slows down the drying time.

Thanks Min! One of the biggest problems I had was drying too fast, preventing me from blending/fading/feathering.

• 2 weeks later...

Not bad! When are you applying the underglazes? Working on leather hard will slow down the drying a lot. The wetter the pot the slower the underglazes will dry, which will let you manipulate them more. That said, the problem with doing a lot of blending on the pot is that the way it looks before firing is not necessarily how it's going to look after firing. What looks like the perfect teal where you blended blue and green may actually just be mostly blue after firing since the blue is a stronger colorant. It may be worth trying a more impressionistic style rather than going for clean blends.

Thanks Bill! It is progress, I was just hoping for more I guess, lol. I thinned out the underglaze glaze a bit and was able to better blend, but lost a lot of saturation. I have some polypropylene glycol ordered and look forward to trying that.

Thanks Neil! The technique I am  trying to use requires the underglaze to be put on after bisque.  This one was more "landscapey" for sure, but the orange and darker blue were much more muted than I hoped for. Gonna keep trying for sure. This was a class project and different clay, also fired in the class studio kiln since the piece was too tall to fit in my little 818, they always come out different than firing at home.

@shawnhar

Are you a painter. Just, I used to get stud. to "paint" on a wad of newspaper, remember those?,  soaked up like a pot, more a laying on rather than pressure  on the pot/ paper wad. 

Prior to decorating gives the feel.

Just a thought.

Plenty stirring eh?

Heck no! I have never painted anything, but I saw a utube video and thought it would be super cool if I could do that on a pot, or at least get close to the idea of it. I "painted" both of these with a toothbrush. :)

5 minutes ago, shawnhar said:

but I saw a utube video and thought it would be super cool if I could do that on a pot,

I watched a YouTube video on setting a broken hand but when I broke mine I had it done by a doctor ...................................because I only learned it right handed and well, you can guess the rest.:D

Made my painting more interesting though.

Archived