Help! I've been given a kiln. Dont know if good or bad.

Leigh Anne

I've been given a kiln. It is an Olympic with an LT-3K Sitter. My husband can replace the end plug.  I will add photos. I would like to start off with simple bowls, cups and plates. I dont know if this is a good kiln or not. No local classes or studios to fire because canceled due to Covid.  Any advice would be so appreciated. I dont know how to share my photos of the kiln. I dont know their URL.

received_876469703176340.jpeg.4709fc44b61c219d0a4bf9c95c2bc9a2.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Leigh Anne said:

I've been given a kiln. It is an Olympic with an LT-3K Sitter. My husband can replace the end plug.  I will add photos. I would like to start off with simple bowls, cups and plates. I dont know if this is a good kiln or not. No local classes or studios to fire because canceled due to Covid.  Any advice would be so appreciated. I dont know how to share my photos of the kiln. I dont know their URL.

18 minutes ago, Leigh Anne said:

It is an Olympic with an LT-3K Sitter.

LT-3K is the model of the kiln sitter, not the kiln itself. That model kiln sitter is used on dozens of different kilns. Somewhere on the kiln is a serial plate with the model, voltage, phase, etc. Post a picture of it. Also post some more pics of the kiln, including some of the interior and the power cord and plug.

We need a lot more information,   do have the electrical wiring and breaker work  done.   You can't even test it until you can plug it in.  Where will you locate  the  kiln,  you need to figure that out before you do the wiring.   Sometimes you can hire someone to check the kiln for you,  most used kilns need new elements.    Safety first when it comes to setting up a kiln,  we can help.  Denice

1 hour ago, Denice said:

We need a lot more information,   do have the electrical wiring and breaker work  done.   You can't even test it until you can plug it in.  Where will you locate  the  kiln,  you need to figure that out before you do the wiring.   Sometimes you can hire someone to check the kiln for you,  most used kilns need new elements.    Safety first when it comes to setting up a kiln,  we can help.  Denice

Pics are at the very end of this post. Thank you.

good job with posting photos.   if you want to eliminate the empty posts, hit edit in the 3 little black boxes in the upper right corner.

the information on that kiln can be found on the sides of that metal box running down the front where you see the olympic name and safety stuff.   look on the right or left side for a metal label with actual electrical info.    and turn on a light in the next photo, please.

(great having a free kiln since your costs will be getting it to work)  still love my free kiln since 2009, thanks rich!

Any bricks that are broken enough to allow the elements to flop out will need to be replaced at some point. For now you may be able to just pin the elements all back into place. If they won't go, then it may be better to go ahead and replace the elements and broken bricks now and start fresh. Open up the control boxes and inspect the wires and make sure they're not crispy or corroded. If they need replacing, Olympic should be able to sell you a new wiring harness. Also check the condition of the plugs between the boxes. If they're corroded, replace them or see if Olympic has a hard-wiring conversion kit.

What does the serial plate say- model, voltage, phase, watts, etc? The circuit breaker for the kiln should be 25% larger than the actual amperage draw of the kiln. This kiln probably pulls 48 amps, so you'd need a 60 amp breaker, with the properly sized wires feeding it, at least #6.

Do you have the kiln stand? If not, you'll need one, or you can use cinder blocks. Just make sure the blocks are sitting nice and flat and even, with the openings facing horizontal so air can flow through them.

Archived