HELP! Rehabbing a kiln after a hurricane

Catmanolis

I had been saving for a Skutt KS 1027 for over a year when a new acquaintance said she'd GIVE me one because it had been through Hurricane Florence and had definitely been flooded. After talking to Skutt via phone, I just ordered 3 new 3 heat switches and 5 plugs. They thought that was a good start and would probably  do the trick. My questions now are:

1) Does anyone know the best way to get rid of this weird mold growing on the lid?(see pic)

2) What is the best way to clean up the rusted metal latches etc? (see pics)

3) What is the best way to clean up the rust and mold inside the red boxes? (see pics)

THANK YOU for any help you can provide on this!

20210115_154309.jpg

20210115_154539.jpg

20210115_160325.jpg

20210115_154611.jpg

20210115_160256.jpg

I took my boxes off last year and wire wheeled all the paint off and then treated the metal with ospho deruster then painted with high heat paint

you cab do the same with any rusted metal.  That kiln need a lid support to hold it open by the way skutt sells them. You only need the flat rod as the rest is there

32 minutes ago, Mark C. said:

That kiln need a lid support to hold it open by the way skutt sells them. You only need the flat rod as the rest is there

Can't buy just the rod. You have to get the whole kit. But that's not a bad thing because the new style is much better than the old one on that kiln.

• 1 year later...

Im wondering how your rehabbed kiln worked?  I, and several friends, have had kilns soaked with saltwater from Hurricane Ian and would love to know if there is any hope?  My kiln is an L&L and they told me to scrap the kiln due to the salt absorbed into the brick which would turn into a salt-glaze and would ruin the porosity of the brick and also corrode the elements.  I would love to find that wasn't so?