how to store stoneware clay

Hi all,

A member of my family is starting to get into pottery and so that's the path I'm going down for Christmas gifts. I did a little bit of research and it seems that stoneware clay is the best for beginners. My question is, if I order it now, do I need to store it somewhere special or in a certain way for the next few weeks until Christmas? I live in a northern state so it does get cold and dry here but my house is usually around 68-70 degrees in the winter. Also, if anyone has any good suggestions for beginner tools or wheels, or websites or blogs to look into I would really appreciate it! Thank you in advance, I'll take any advice anyone has! 

storing clay inside is perfectly ok but a gift of clay may not be the best choice.   the kind of clay a person wants to use may be totally different from what you might choose.   there are many kinds of clay from which to choose.  it might be better to give a certificate and a promise to accompany your family member to buy whatever he/she wants.   

you might offer a really complete set of hand tools with the gift certificate, a pretty standard set of tools for either working on a wheel or on a tabletop.  and a  good reference book to cover a wide variety of methods of work.

I'd definitely go with a gift certificate from a mainstream supplier. If anyone gave me stuff without me being able to choose it, I would be bummed out, actually-it would be frustrating to not get what I needed and be stuck with something that really didn't suit.  Art is very personal in terms of selecting the supplies & materials to suit ones level of expertise and ideas (even at the very beginning---would she want a wood rib, a  silicone rib, or a metal rib, for example? My suggest is to cruise through a few major sites like Sheffield, Bailey's, Clay King, The Ceramic Shop etc. etc. (& search for one near her location) just to see the vast array of what is available & the kinds of decisions she will need to make. 

Welcome to the forum... As a hands-on type of guy, I started with a local Learning Exchange class at my local pottery supplier which had a studio. From there I progressed to taking 3 courses at my local community college over a period of 6 years. I'm also a book learner, so I got a variety of books and have also found an abundance of videos on YouTube covering all the aspects of pottery that I'm interested in from throwing to glazing...and finally, there is this Forum which has been an unreal source of information, inspiration and support thanks to all its members!

I find tools and materials are a pretty personal choice, so it’s one of the times I do agree with getting gift certificates to your local supplier. Subscriptions to things like CLAYflicks, Pottery Making Illustrated, Ceramics Monthly, Studio Potter are also great gift ideas. There’s loads of books on technique available too. 

One of the reasons that you are being discouraged from buying clay is that if you don't know where or how the clay will be fired, then you don't know whether to buy low fire clay, medium fire clay or high fire clay.  So best go with the above advice and get a gift certificate.

Archived