Wheel bats hurting my arms

Hello! 

Does anyone else have trouble with wheel bats rubbing against their firearms when throwing? It only seems to be an issue when I’m centering right at the base of the clay, but it’s really scratching my arms up. I’ve tried big bats, little ones, over the wheel Russian doll style systems and they all have this problem. I’ve tried adjusting my seat height to but no joy. 

I’m hoping you guys will have some suggestions :)

Hi Jessicak!

Nome, we store alla firearms in the attic!

Ahem, jk.

Could you post a picture of your arms and hands when centering at the base of your clay ball? I sit lower than anyone I've met, and lower than most I see in vids, and my arms don't touch the wheel head (or bat surface) - only the edge of my hands on the little finger side, and, of course the edges of same little finger (whilst keeping fingernails away from the moving clay, for they wear away so quickly).

I find if I let my little finger run along the batt after a few hours of throwing I've rubbed the skin raw by the first knuckle. I try and keep my little finger just a hair above the batt. If I'm throwing tiny pots where it's difficult not to rub it on the  wheelhead or batt then I wrap that knuckle with hockey tape first. I agree with Tom, post a picture or video of how you are sitting at the wheel.

Is your seat level with the wheel head?

Are you lifting your shoulders to your ears whilst centering.?

Can you move your seat right up smack to the wheel and keep your spine vertical?

What kind of wheel have you? That looks like a wide splash pan.

6 minutes ago, Babs said:

Is your seat level with the wheel head?

Are you lifting your shoulders to your ears whilst centering.?

Can you move your seat right up smack to the wheel and keep your spine vertical?

What kind of wheel have you? That looks like a wide splash pan.

My seat is ever so slightly lower than the wheel head, but I have tried it higher and have the same issue. My seat is usually as close to the wheel as I can get it, and my back is straight 

I have a Rhode HMT 500

Ok check your total posture. Shoulders down will alter angle of arms, you look a small person as am I. I can barely get my hand between  the splash p. and wheell at the seat end on model I have. i.e. I am very close to wheelhead.

From photo, looks like you are leaning in, a "natural " response!

Just a thought, i do this, put blocks under your feet, ( I use dried out bags of clay :-)))), this raises your knees,and your elbows fix on legs then s.pan etc.

It looks like the splashpan rim is level with the wheelhead. Can you add some cushioning to the splash pan, so the spots where your arms rest are elevated a little more? Maybe some foam blocks? That might keep your forearms from touching the wheelhead.

I sometimes lose parts of my fingernails, and sometimes get sore knuckles, but I've never had my forearms touch the wheel head. 

22 minutes ago, GEP said:

It looks like the splashpan rim is level with the wheelhead. Can you add some cushioning to the splash pan, so the spots where your arms rest are elevated a little more? Maybe some foam blocks? That might keep your forearms from touching the wheelhead.

I sometimes lose parts of my fingernails, and sometimes get sore knuckles, but I've never had my forearms touch the wheel head. 

A pool noodle or pipe insulation might work a treat for this, good idea GEP

On 11/17/2020 at 8:00 PM, Babs said:

Ok check your total posture. Shoulders down will alter angle of arms, you look a small person as am I. I can barely get my hand between  the splash p. and wheell at the seat end on model I have. i.e. I am very close to wheelhead.

From photo, looks like you are leaning in, a "natural " response!

Just a thought, i do this, put blocks under your feet, ( I use dried out bags of clay :-)))), this raises your knees,and your elbows fix on legs then s.pan etc.

I am small indeed! I’ve doubled checked posture and my shoulders are down, seat is super close the the wheel head. 

I think the issue may be that splash pan is level with the wheel head, so when I attach a bat, it’s higher than the wheel and so rubs against my arms. I might try putting a pool noodle or something on the splash pan as others have suggested 

Was paying attention today whilst at the wheel: even when using the 5/8 inch bats, the splash pan edge is higher than the surface of the bat; I'm anchoring the catching arm (right for me, as I turn clock wise) mostly on the splash pan edge - built in cast pan - and elbow against my leg; I anchor the pressure hand (left for me) on my other leg.

My guess is a bit o' something to raise your forearms (hope your firearms are secured somewhere totally safe) a bit might help - keep trying adjustments until you're rockin'! Post back your solutions?

Archived