spray gun

Susan McDade

Use the search function on main page as there has been lots of pots on spray guns.The only two I know that do not require a commpressor is one that looks like a bug sprayer and really is not very funtional and the other you blow thru and is alos very limited as to how much material you can pass through it.To spary enough glaze to cover a pot will take some air presure.

You can get a low presuure high volume all in one unit from harbor frieght

Basically there are two types of spray guns, ones that are gravity fed from the top where the glaze is in a cup/jar above the spray nozzle and bottom feeders where the cup/jar of glaze is below the spray nozzle. I've found the gravity feed ones clog more (even with the filter removed) than the bottom feeder types. I use a Critter HVLP (high volume low pressure) bottom feeder but have replaced the glass jar that comes with them with a plastic one. I use it at 40 psi for most glazes, it's easy to use and clean.

Deb SchwartzkopfIf uses a Wagner paint sprayer, doesn't need a compressor, I don't know how well it works compared to the guns used with compressors. If you are only wanting to do a little bit of accent spraying you can use a can of propellant with a spray attachment. It is an expensive way to spray glaze though.

Welcome to the forum.

I had a friend in grad school who used a Wagner sprayer. It seemed to work fine for him, although back then those sprayers were very noisy, worse than a compressor.

The nice thing about a compressor is that it is a very handy tool for other things, too. There are tons of tools that run on compressed air, and it's always nice to have one for putting air in your car tires when needed. If you do any home improvement work, air nailers are a major time saver.

You can get a small air compressor for not much money.  Right now a 3 gallon is $40 at Harbor Freight.  I use the Harbor Freight gravity feed spray gun as well.  My first one lasted 5 years.  I don't have problems with clogging but I do sieve all my glazes before putting them in the hopper.  As Min said, the Cricket is definitely an option.  Not terribly expensive either.  And because pint jars fit that spray gun, you can quickly switch out colors.  

Roberta

Problem with small compressors is if you are spending more than a short time spraying they are going to be running pretty much full on trying to keep up. The noise can get to you after a while. (hearing protection is a good idea for whatever you use to spray with) If you can have the compressor in another room and run an air hose to where you are spraying that helps with the noise too.

min is right, the first compressor i ever used was a 2 gallon hot-dog type.  i had no idea it would burn up on the first day i used it.  got a used 8 gallon one later for only $40 on craigslist.  still have it but i do not use it much anymore.

On 10/21/2020 at 11:51 AM, Min said:

Basically there are two types of spray guns, ones that are gravity fed from the top where the glaze is in a cup/jar above the spray nozzle and bottom feeders where the cup/jar of glaze is below the spray nozzle. I've found the gravity feed ones clog more (even with the filter removed) than the bottom feeder types. I use a Cricket HVLP (high volume low pressure) bottom feeder but have replaced the glass jar that comes with them with a plastic one. I use it at 40 psi for most glazes, it's easy to use and clean.

Deb SchwartzkopfIf uses a Wagner paint sprayer, doesn't need a compressor, I don't know how well it works compared to the guns used with compressors. If you are only wanting to do a little bit of accent spraying you can use a can of propellant with a spray attachment. It is an expensive way to spray glaze though.

Welcome to the forum.

Thank you!

On 10/21/2020 at 11:51 AM, Min said:

Basically there are two types of spray guns, ones that are gravity fed from the top where the glaze is in a cup/jar above the spray nozzle and bottom feeders where the cup/jar of glaze is below the spray nozzle. I've found the gravity feed ones clog more (even with the filter removed) than the bottom feeder types. I use a Cricket HVLP (high volume low pressure) bottom feeder but have replaced the glass jar that comes with them with a plastic one. I use it at 40 psi for most glazes, it's easy to use and clean.

Welcome to the forum.

Who makes the Cricket? I can't seem to find it on the internet.

On 10/22/2020 at 8:40 AM, neilestrick said:

I had a friend in grad school who used a Wagner sprayer. It seemed to work fine for him, although back then those sprayers were very noisy, worse than a compressor.

The nice thing about a compressor is that it is a very handy tool for other things, too. There are tons of tools that run on compressed air, and it's always nice to have one for putting air in your car tires when needed. If you do any home improvement work, air nailers are a major time saver.

When we were moving my Grandfather into a smaller place, my Dad asked if I wanted the air compressor.  Initially I thought, "What am I going to do with that?!"  Less than a year later I was using it with a newly purchased nail gun to build decorative columns and finish a loft space in my garage. 

I have also used it with a paint sprayer.  They are indeed a nice multipurpose tool!

mondgreen-ed as, aye

https://crittersprayproducts.ca/index.html

...just used my nail gun last week! Was finally gettin' roun' to baseboarding the pantry. Said nail gun trigger assembly had failed, sigh (figures, after someone had said "...that compressor and nail gun have paid for themselves many times over; they could vaporize right now." Hmm.); however, replacement trigger assembly was less than ten bucks.

Air is so great (protect your ears and eyes there lassies an' lads!)!

Archived