Help with throwing B-mix with grog

Hello Everybody!

I am a relative beginner at throwing at the wheel. I recently ordered 50 lb of Laguna B-mix with grog because I read that it was a sturdy, easy to throw clay. I have to admit it was a lot rougher than I expected, so not as pleasant to work with as some other clays. I have two questions:

1. My main problem is that every time I try to pull up a wall, rings of clay come off in my hands. I started out with 2 lbs and probably ended up with 1 lb by the time I finished my bowl. What am I doing wrong? I thought I might be trying to pull up too much clay at once... I could only avoid it by barely moving the clay at all. I'm confused because I've seen potters bring up the walls of a cylinder in only a couple of pulls. 

Is there something I could change about my technique or the clay that would help this? 

2.  Is there a way to strain out the grog when I recycle this clay? It is a little too rough for my taste.

Thank you so much!

I don't throw, but using a tool to pack some of the grog in may help.  

The easiest way to seive out the grog is with copious amounts of water. I accidentally found this out yesterday when I ran some clay through a 60 then an 80 to get some sand out.

I ended up with 40g of pure gold!lol!

Sorce

If you’re tearing rings off, it could be that the clay is just too hard. Is the pre-thrown clay a bit easier to use after you’ve let it sit overnight and re wedged it?

As far as removing the grog, you’d have to take it down to slurry and sieve it all. Which would be an epic nuisance. It’s a lot less work to get a different box of clay. You can combine the two as reclaim later and the grog will be less noticeable. 

Hi Mariakat!

Suggestions:

Watch some accomplished throwers (video clips*); note the variation of techniques for moving clay upward, particularly the initial moves.

Wet the clay inside and out before each pull - not too much, but not dry either; some throwers hold a sponge in the palm of their hand to supply water whilst pulling.

Keep your fingernails off the wheel, and, as much as possible, and off of the moving clay as well, for they will last longer.

Clay responds to pressure, but not immediately; apply your steady pressure and be patient - it will move. It takes a while to get the clay at the wall's base moving, particularly that below the level of the inside/bottom. Try using your outside (right if counter clockwise) thumb, or index finger, or a knuckle to establish a groove at the base, then use pressure on both sides to get the resultant ridge moving upward. The ridge will move slowest at the onset of the pull.

Drier/stiffer clay will give you more working time - until it is too wet and slumps; however, wetter clay responds to pressure more easily. You might do better with damper clay.

Do you "cone" your clay up and down as part of your centering process? You may find controlling the coning movement has some transfer to raising walls: not too fast, lest the clay move on the bat and/or shear; pressure applied such that the center of the mass keeps up with the outside (in particular!), etc. You may find thoroughly coned/centered clay behaves well and throws easier. 

You may change your mind on grogged/sanded clays - two bags may not be quite enough of a trial though! I like rough clay, I also like smooth clay. The rough clay does seem easier to throw, however, grog (vs sand) allows water to penetrate faster; the clay will get too wet more quickly. I start a recycle with slaking thoroughly dried chunks/bits/etc. with retained slurry and (just) enough water to make a mixable mash - which could be sieved, as Sorce suggests. I'd just use it up. Grogged/sanded clay can be smoothed, as Sorce also suggests; try using a metal rib to knock down the bits, bring the "cream" to the surface, and smooth (like finishing concrete). 

*likely more difficult to see live work! Here are some links that have links ...there are many others. My best suggestion would be to watch and read, sleep on it, and get back to practicing! You may find you "see" your favourite vids quite differently after you've been practicing for a bit (I am still re-watching many of the same video clips, years later, as I'm looking at and for different things...)!

https://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/topic/22858-a-beginner-looking-for-good-learning-resources

https://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/topic/21849-free-video-recommendations-for-potters

give yourself a little time to learn this new skill.   so many beginners assume it will all come together in a few sessions.  not true.   if you try throwing with a damp sponge, your hands will feel much better.    we all bled for a time before we developed skill.

• 1 year later...

Archived