A beginner looking for good learning resources!

Hello from a newbie to the forums and to ceramics! I’ve read info from the Ceramic Arts Network for a while, but I’ve just joined the forum tonight.  I’m an intermediate handbuilder and beginner thrower looking to expand my skill set and absorb as much knowledge as I can!  

My ceramics teacher is a sculpture artist and not a ceramicist, so while I’ve learned a ton about handbuilding from her, there’s a lot she says she can’t teach me about glaze, special firing techniques, and advanced throwing. I’m looking to build a collection of great, thorough resources (forum posts here, names of people to follow, blogs, websites, articles, videos, online courses, whatever) to educate myself further. I was hoping some of you kind folks will have some that immediately come to mind that you can point me to (the internet is vast, y’all). If there’s something or someone you found helpful while learning, chances are I will, too! 

I’m especially interested in anything to do with glazing, firing, and throwing. I’ve only used commercial glazes, but I’d love to learn about mixing my own and all the cool effects you can get. I’m working on getting a kiln of my own, but am currently limited in that I’m using the one on the university campus where I work, and thus can’t do what I want when I want. But after I get my kiln set up, sky’s the limit. 

Thank you in advance for any pointers you’re willing to throw my way! Cheers!

10 hours ago, platypusofdeath said:

I’m especially interested in anything to do with glazing, firing, 

https://www.ceramicmaterialsworkshop.com/

I highly recommend the glaze and clay course, especially early on. I think it can take a bunch of mystery out of many things clay and save serious time chasing down rabbit holes.

Another nice  resource is Glazy.  Located here: https://glazy.org/search?base_type=460&production=false&photo=false

and it’s free

• 3 months later...

Thank you all so much for the replies!

I’m very sorry to have posted and ghosted—a few days after I made this post, I suffered a catastrophic computer crash (my entire campus where I work was affected), and I’ve been trying to recreate all my teaching materials from scratch, so I haven’t had time to come back here (or make anything, for that matter). 2020. Ugh. 

But anyhow, I’ll be working through these starting soon! Thank you again. 

Archived