Frit 4124 or substitute

Rick Wise

Ferro frit 4124 is very close to Ferro frit 3124, main difference is the 4124 has less alumina. If you are comfortable using Glazy then enter the recipe using 3124, look at the unity formula and see how it changed between the two versions of the glaze. Top up the kaolin in the 3124 version to bring the alumina levels the same then decrease the silica (3124 recipe) to make it the same as the original 4124 unity formula amounts. re-total base to 100 and you are good to go. Post it here if you are unsure.

20 minutes ago, Babs said:

Ok, do I guess they just chabge the numbers for down uhnder.. old recipe books all haved the numbers e.g. 3134 3110 , 938,3124 but sold under different numbers here now

They're a different number because they're slightly different due to what minerals and raw supplies are available locally.  

39 minutes ago, Babs said:

Yes but I remember buying the old stuff made in Aus and marketed like in the recipe books. I guess though doubt in this mineral rich country, it is a lak of materials. So you can buy 4110 and 3110? 4108 and 3134? I can't

Nope, that's what I'm saying.  It's 3134 here and everywhere it's able/cost effective to export, and in local areas where maybe there's laws against or tarriffs for importing, they'll use what's available locally, like a local feldspar or local kaolin to make the frit.  The result is a similar but slightly different frit, that is likely "close enough" for most applications.

Frit is just fired and milled glaze (glass really).

1 hour ago, liambesaw said:

Frit is just fired and milled glaze (glass really).

@liambesaw
Calcined or sintered and crushed is probably a better description. Generally precursors to glass  containing non soluble silica, alumna and assorted fluxes. Often the put together by manufacturing source of non soluble boron and  other fluxes in ceramics. Glaze software can usually provide a path to fairly easy substitution.

Rick I cleaned out a deseased friends pottery studio who had a tons of Frits. I gave away as much as I could to some members here and the local collage. I still have a box full of odd numbers I feel . I may have some and I just looked for about 10 m inutes for that box full. since its not something I ever use I know its deep out of studio area. In the light of day I'll look agin and if I find it you are more than welcome to it for ship cost(flat rate is cheap ). If I find it I;'ll pm you. The standard frits most use I gave awy already inkluding a 100# sack of old stuff.

Rick I cleaned out a deseased friends pottery studio who had a tons of Frits. I gave away as much as I could to some members here and the local collage. I still have a box full of odd numbers I feel . I may have some and I just looked for about 10 m inutes for that box full. since its not something I ever use I know its deep out of studio area. In the light of day I'll look agin and if I find it you are more than welcome to it for ship cost(flat rate is cheap ). If I find it I;'ll pm you. The standard frits most use I gave awy already including a 100# sack of old stuff.

On anouther note if anyone knows any details of Ferro  Frit  6140 I would like to know-it was used in raku glazes in the 70s and I have full bag.

we like the logo so much we made t shiorts with that logo back in the day.

when i pass one of you should bring a flatbed with at least 10 ton capacity and help my wife out by taking this stuff way.

OK I have really looked hard and have yet to find a box of Frits. Its a sign of the times that I have to much stuff in ceramics.-I have a list of those supplies and I'm going to find that to see if 4124 is on it. If its not I'll give it up-if it is I'll keep digging

If I do not have several tons of glaze materials I'm running low. These frits where set aside from those as I do not use or even like frits. My temp range for firing does not tolerate the low melt points of frits. So I put them in a very odd space and am looking thru those places-I gave away most of this guys materials and it could have gotten mixed into that give away. My assistant and i recall keeping it out of the give away as I gave some to members here on this four and what was left was in a box after the give away to some schools.Its driving me nuts but really its pretty common problem here after 47 years in same location. We I move its 6 feet under.

Archived