QotW:What sort of forms do you use when doing slipcasting?

@LeeUrecently posted: I read something on one of the threads about formulating an oil/wax/clay material to use for making forms for slipcasting.  I'd like to see some discussion regarding the slipcasting that Forum members do/have done.  Process & product, w/a few pics, ideally!

I usually make have some sort of personal reference for these questions, but alas not much here. My only experience with slip casting is that my parents did some casting and glazing at the local rec centers on bases. They enjoyed doing it for many years, and then on one move no longer had access to the craft.

QotW:What sort of forms do you use when doing slipcasting? 

best,

Pres

• Pres pinned and featured this topic

I have done slip work over the decades. Its not what I like so Itend to avoid it now. In school I learned how and disd art to old antique bottles (I posted thiose photos before here.) I did things like a truck froma bread loaf with donut wheels to dog poop.

In the early 90s

I went into business to make slip cast aroma therapy lamps for Aura Cacia. We cut the deal at  my kitchen table with them.Made so many thousands of them I forgot how many. Maybe 10,000 or more? I think I have a few left. No photos

They used to be located a few hours from us (Aura Cacia ) Frontier bought them out for 5 million during our production deal with them. Within a few years moved the whole deal to Ohio. We palletized them by the 1,000s and truck shipped them for a few years. We put them in inner cardboard boxes and outer boxes then shrink wraped to wood pallet at truck dock. We did all this with two employees and did it off site. We both (full time potters) took turns glaze firing them to cone 10 in our car kilns. on site.I know enough about slip casting  to not want to make the same thing over and over exactly the same.I learned all aboutbthe right way to make molds as we had  friend whio was am amster mold maker in SF area. He is gone now but He did do lots of mold work from building architecture to casting pots to whatever. I still have all the mold masters-if anyone wants to get into lamp making.All free but you have to come get it all -its a start up deal for zero $$ send a pm-everything need to start. We had our own high fire formula made by Laguna and  bought it by the ton dry bagged-still have some.Send a Pm-mixers included. You will need a pickup truck .I would like the shed back to empty really.

I bought out my partner and within two two years they shifted to china for low fire pots (they started with low fire ) before we came along but they came apart with flame, you can still find these low quaility lamps in stores as they are all low fire one again and will come apart with flame (uneven heating)I think they (the lamps) are now all electric as well.

Working with Corporate is no fun. I suggest avoiding at all cost been there done that.

I'll take some photos when I can get to i f the slip cast forms

I did some slip casting also in the early 90's but on a much smaller scale.   I made a mold of a triangular large lamp and used that mold for a few years,  I also made molds for a medieval chess set for my son.  I thought it would be a good item to sell at Renaissance fairs.   After figuring the costs of materials,  booth fees  I would be lucky to break even when I compared  to what other chess sets  sold for.  I still have the mold and chess set  and molds.    Denice

did a few chess sets in the 1970s and gave them away.   made some really detailed angels and sold them at my office for christmas.   nearly went blind keeping striped underglazes separated and sold all of them at $4 each.    idiotic.  never again interested in slipware.

• Pres unpinned this topic