Brent or Bailey

Crc

Looking to buy my first wheel for home (will be in my garage). I throw porcelain including larger platters/plates so I need a two part splash pan. I’m deciding between a Brent C or CXC or a Bailey ST-X or XL. I have used a Brent but not the Bailey.  Considering the Bailey given the larger splash pan, trim guard attachment and the fact that it is a bit cheaper. But don’t want to be penny wise and pound foolish.... would love some feedback from those with experience on these  wheels.  Thanks!

I've got a Bailey ST-XL with the removable 2 piece splash pan, had it for about a year and a half.  I found the preset top speed too slow so I changed that, simple adjustment. I also added extension legs since I throw standing. (I didn't buy theirs, used some table legs that luckily fit the Bailey stand) I also modified the foot pedal, added a piece of redi-rod and a knob to use the pedal with my left hand. Wheel is fairly quiet, it's easy to remove the front piece of the splash pan to clean that out. It's a bit tight to clean it out without removing it. I only remove the rest of the splash pan when I'm changing claybodies. If I'm trimming something wider than the front of the splash pan I can sometimes get away with just removing the smaller front section, otherwise I use  foam bats and raise the pot above the rim of the splash pan and use a piece of plastic on the floor on the right side of the wheel to catch trimmings. It doesn't take long to remove the whole splash pan. The freebie ergo counter that comes with the wheel is a handy little bonus. I like that Bailey stand behind their products, their customer service is really good. Brent or Bailey, I don't think you can go wrong with either of these.

Welcome to the forum!

Owned 6 Brents would buy another 6 if I need them. Bailey is also a top notch wheel-never seen or used one. I have owned and used Brent Model A,B,C,and CXC-. I own all of those now as well.

I started with a brent in 1970 , Still use it.

my experiences with brent have not led me to like it.   it is noisy and that is important to me.  i used the bailey wheel at the tampa NCECA show to demonstrate a bailey trimming tool.   liked it for several reasons.  check all the bailey info available and if you still have questions, call them and ask for a wheel tech.

I'd go with the Bailey because if the big splash pan. It will do a much better job of keeping the studio clean. And from what I've heard from people over the years it's a really good wheel. Also look at Skutt if you like the big splash pan. It has a lot more adjustability to the controller than Brent.

12 hours ago, Mark C. said:

Owned 6 Brents would buy another 6 if I need them. Bailey is also a top notch wheel-never seen or used one. I have owned and used Brent Model A,B,C,and CXC-. I own all of those now as well.

I started with a brent in 1970 , Still use it.

Man, that's just bad business!  Don't they know, that if they make a product that fails after a couple years, then you have to buy another one?

I mean that's the recent trend right?!

jim bailey looks at every product on the market before deciding to make something to compete with the best.   i would trust that any product he makes would have every good feature of the best and then something more.  i remember it being heavy and with good speed control.  the event was held in 2011 so some features may have changed.  i know that  it had a wide splash pan with a drain hole in a place where a bucket would be able to fit under it.  i do not use a splash pan but i liked the solidly built container rather than something made of plastic.  

if you plan to make large items, you can use a bat that is taller than the splash pan on whatever wheel you decide on.

i was not throwing new pieces at NCECA but the man who did is the tech with all the info you would need to decide.    a phone call to the right person is just so simple.  

Archived