Measuring Air Born Silica Dust

mrcasey

In our community art center, we've been building a room in which I can mix glazes.  I probably spend about 5 hours a month mixing 

and I'm curious to know just how much silica I'm exposed to.  Does anybody have any advice about the buying and use of the

cyclones (I think they're called) used for this purpose?     

I've got a half face mask with N95 rated cartridges.  I used to just mix in a tiny kiln room with a standard exhaust fan.  After reading 

a little, I've discovered that many people consider a kiln exhaust system to be inadequate for glaze mixing ventilation.  I've read a couple of posts 

from John Baymore where he mentions the difficulty of designing one's own adequate vent system.   

21 minutes ago, mrcasey said:

I've got a half face mask with N95 rated cartridges.

First thing I would do is upgrade your mask to a P100 one. N95, R95 and P95 filters are certified as having a minimum efficiency of 95%; N99, R99 and P99 filters are certified as having a minimum efficiency of 99%; N100, R100 and P100 filters are certified as having a minimum efficiency of 99.97% 

There are no personal exposure limits for 5 hours a month, so you're fine with a mask.  Getting a ppm/m² for that low of an exposure would be expensive and pretty much tell you nothing.  Good idea to follow mins advice and upgrade to the pink p100 filters.

+1 for what Min said.  Get a p100 respirator. 

It is also important that the mask fits well so that you get a good seal.  A bad seal means reduced filtration effectiveness as unfiltered air and particles are getting around the mask and into your lungs.  So, if you have a small face structure and are wearing a mask that is too big, you will not get a seal.  3M offers many of their respirators in small, med and large sizes - so buy the correct size (this will get you a better chance of getting a good seal, but it's not a guarantee as some face shapes and some mask shapes just don't fit together to get a good seal).  Also, if you have facial hair, you will not get a good seal.   Here's some more info from OSHA about fit. https://www.osha.gov/video/respiratory_protection/fittesting_transcript.html.  Hospitals and other companies have equipment to conduct fit testing on each employee.  Unfortunately, as studio potters we don't have access to that kind of equipment and testing, so do what you can to get a mask that fits your face.  It might mean trying different models and manufacturers.

Lastly, getting a p100 right now may be hard with COVID-19.  Many places seem to be sold out or holding stock for healthcare.  If a website says sold out, pick up the phone and see if you can get through that way.  Good luck.

-SD

23 hours ago, mrcasey said:

Does anybody have any advice about the buying and use of the

cyclones (I think they're called) used for this purpose?     

Pretty good stuff above but as always collect the dust as soon as it’s generated else it will spread everywhere. Designing exhaust is a skill so having this done by someone who will pick the best face velocity is key. Having said that, telescopic extractors have become popular for such use and generally run in the range of 400 -600 cubic feet per minute. The user must place the pickup as close to any operation that creates dust, whether dispensing or dry mixing so operational practices are key. That is why the telescopic have become popular because the user can place them very close to where dust is generated and protect the rest of the studio. Definitely wear proper protection but exposing the rest of the studio is not good. My guess is this  is not designed as negative pressure with respect to the common studio which also makes me wonder if the same HVAC equipment is in common. In a designed room these things are accounted for and yes, real design is a thing, home design generally a bad thing. If someone is talking bathroom fan, then they are most likely guessing is the very best I would venture to say.

Often folks do not have the wherewithal Or basic knowledge  to design to which the suggestion to mix outside, away from folks downwind, etc.... is a likely solution. Still need personal protective equipment though.

I have lots of video of someone gently putting a scoop in a glaze table and dust particles being ejected near immediately in the five to ten foot range. I’ll be happy to share them if anyone does not believe it.

Stay safe

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2020 at 8:31 AM, Bill Kielb said:

I have lots of video of someone gently putting a scoop in a glaze table and dust particles being ejected near immediately in the five to ten foot range. I’ll be happy to share them if anyone does not believe it.

I totally believe you, but I would like to see it!

5 hours ago, Sorcery said:

How this thing magically lifts the floor dust passed our inhale area without us inhaling it is what I'd like to know!

You place it where you make the dust...... extractor arm is another name. Always try and suck up the dust as near the source as possible so it takes the extractor arm and good practice as well.

5316107A-8818-45E3-82D9-79CA330B1555.jpeg

Use a mask and if its a public glaze lab get a air purifier. I put a hepa filter on my delta air handler. It was about 5 -7 times less cost than the bailey uinits It exchanges all the studio air in a few minutes  as my space is small. I flip it on when glaze making leave it on after to get all the dust.Just make sure whatever air filtration you get has a hepa filter in it.

I like Bill are lucky to still be here breathing-I used to make clay in collage -no mask and galzes and clean the studio at school during breaks.Add another 40 plus years in clay and its a miracle I can still breath.

Yes I played with merury as well and fumed pots in salt kilns and handled things that today are a No no . The knowledge then is not what it is today. I have embraced filters and vacuums systems and try to handle clay trimmings  only in the wet stage as much as possiable.

Just transfering materials from bag to bins is a huge dust scene. Whatever system you use its all about keeping the dust down.I always thought working in the school glaze room dumping bags into bins was dust producer.I still feel it is as every time its moved walla more dust.

This is the venting system at Waubonsee Community College in Sugar Grove, IL. They have extractor arms at every glaze mixing station, and in the clay mixing room. If I remember correctly, the actual fan and all the capture system are located outside the building. It's an extensive system $$$.

Vent Arm Waubonsee.png

4 minutes ago, neilestrick said:

If I remember correctly, the actual fan and all the capture system are located outside the building. It's an extensive system $$$.

Typical design for glaze labs these days actually. The arms are not super expensive actually but in a school environment everything is premium dollar.

15 minutes ago, liambesaw said:

suck the blood through your skin 

Chrome off a bumper is my favorite, 
Most of the above operate in the hundreds of CFM so often for a single pickup you are talking  an axial 6” fan and arm plus building penetration. DIY probably hundreds to less than $2000.00 Depending upon DIY capability and access to suitable point of discharge. For a system (Ductwork)  A bunch more in design, materials and fan horsepower.

All depend upon the person using it conscientiously though.

25 minutes ago, Min said:

silica so we can see the before and after?

Yes, of course we have real time videos but these belong to real studios so they are purposely a limited view of surroundings. The before screen grab is prior to action. The video taken is fairly high speed so one can watch the general development of an observable plume with respect to time. In my opinion from observation, this spreads much faster and farther than most can possibly imagine.  Stay safe.

4B6170A8-BFFA-4662-A8A1-A14956C389AB.jpeg

Archived