Loaning Out College Equipment

Colleges today loan out their video equipment, laptops, chrome books like they would in their campus libraries.  Since we are staying home and learning online during this pandemic, would it be too crazy for a college ceramics studio to invest in purchasing some table top potters wheels as part of their ceramics studio equipment and loan them out to only enrolled students for the current semester.  The students set up a work area at home for the table top wheel and the instructor schedules zoom meetings, teaching wheel throwing online. 

The studio lab techs  would post and email a firing schedule for pick up and drop off dates and times and shelving areas for both green ware, bisque ware and glaze ware at the college.  Students would drop off their work to be processed through and follow the schedule for pick up time.   The studio techs would have their jobs to load and fire projects.  Students would follow the instructor's recommendations for glazes through more zoom meetings. 

Too Crazy Idea?

• 3 months later...
On 8/9/2020 at 7:37 PM, Mark (Marko) Madrazo said:

The University i use to work at wouldn't lead a paper clip out. And you could be reprimanded and or fired if caught. Seriously. :wacko:

Hi Marko! Are you using the raku kiln? Nice to see your name out there. Its been a while. Hope you are staying safe down in Texas. I need to shovel snow to get to the kiln shed up here in Montana.

On 11/15/2020 at 4:29 PM, Marcia Selsor said:

Hi Marko! Are you using the raku kiln? Nice to see your name out there. Its been a while. Hope you are staying safe down in Texas. I need to shovel snow to get to the kiln shed up here in Montana.

See, that's why I use a weed burner form my Raku kiln.  You just keep it next to the house, and if you have snow on your way to the kiln, just melt a path with the burner... hehe.

I actually *have* used that burner to melt a large sheet of ice, next to the main entrance to our house.  The shovels and ice scrapper were not getting the job done!

Remembering back in the day at PSU or at MSU in PA, the open studio policy would almost allow anything to disappear. I don't remember hearing of any leaving the studio, but there were several that would be scarfed away from the regular areas to grad student private studios in the building.

At the same time, I can remember when I was practicing pulling handles on an Easter vacation. Climbed into a second floor window from the roof of my old Dodge Dart pulled handles for 3-3 hours, and stuck them to everything imaginable. . . . large sinks, table edges, lockers etc. Should have cleaned up, but ran out of time and didn't. Climbed back down onto the car. No one said a word the next week when all the handles were all over the floor.

best,

Pres

Archived