Mug bought at Craft Show

KateKaye

Contact potter.

Be v surprized if any potter would be using lead on functional ware these days esp. on surfaces which are in contact with food or mouth.

If post pics some folk here may give educated guesses but potter best bet.

Lots of v. shiny glazes containing no lead.

Which country are you in?

@KateKaye

On 7/27/2020 at 2:12 PM, KateKaye said:

I bought a set of mugs at a Craft Show. My friend told me to check for lead! Is it necessary? The outside is fairly shiny, only the bottom is not glazed.

I wouldn't think twice about it.

If the bottom is unglazed then it's highly unlikely its a lowfire mug. Lowfire mugs need to be glazed all over in order to not soak up moisture/liquid. In North America, lead bisilicate frits could have the remote of possibly being used in a lowfire glaze but they are not used it mid or high fire glazes. The most I would do if you are concerned is to dribble a small puddle of water on the unglazed base of the mug, if it soaks in quickly then it is likely lowfire but I think that is extremely unlikely. 

I think it's a slippery slope to go down when we start assuming  a mug from a craft fair contains lead. Spreading false information does nothing but fear monger amongst the public against handmade ceramics.

I'd never assume a mug bought in the USA contains lead, unless it's a commercially made product.  If you bought it at a craft fair, I all but guarantee it's lead free.  

Now if you bought it at a craft fair in Mexico, that's another story.  Same goes for parts of Eastern Europe, but not here in the US/Canada.

3 minutes ago, Sorcery said:

Scariest thing I read all day! Lol!

Sorce

As far as I know, every commercial ceramic dinnerware manufacturer still uses lead, however it's so well engineered that it stays within the FDA acceptable range for leaching.  It's too useful and cheap of a flux for them to stop ;). Them 99 cent plates don't grow on trees ya know!

1 hour ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

Kids don’t work nearly fast enough. Everything’s mechanized. 

That's right! No need for kids or developing nation's when you have a machine that mixes clay, pugs it, divides it, jiggers it, glazes it, fires it, and packages everything into boxes without a single human being.  

Great video!  I always love to watch the production process, whether it be a single potter at their studio, or a large scale operation like this.   But Man, trimming/ smoothing bone dry wares!  Don't let my students see that, because that is a no no in my classroom!

Also, around the minute mark, it looks like the worker is smooth areas, that have already been glazed.  What exactly are they doing?

The handling of those fully loaded ware boards is just ridiculous!  I'd struggle with the single hand restaurant serving platter, so there is no way I could deal with a fully loaded ware board that is longer than I am tall!

Whenever someone asks me if my work is “lead-free” I know they aren’t very knowledgeable. My answer is “oh, lead has been gone from American handmade ceramics for decades. But that doesn’t mean that all handmade pottery is safe. There are other chemicals that some potters still use (Barium, for example) which can be unsafe if the glazes are not formulated or fired correctly. So it’s important to ask the potter if you’re not sure. If you don’t get a confident “yes” from the potter, then you should assume it’s not foodworthy. Or, use it at your own risk. For anything that’s made outside of the US, all bets are off.”

At around the 1 minute mark in the Chinese video, when he's sanding the bone dry work, he's also got a piece of sandpaper taped to his left thumb!

Everything about the RAK porcelain video is cringy, from the complete lack of soul in their work to the style of the video itself. :wacko:

1 minute ago, neilestrick said:

At around the 1 minute mark in the Chinese video, when he's sanding the bone dry work, he's also got a piece of sandpaper taped to his left thumb!

Everything about the RAK porcelain video is cringy, from the complete lack of soul in their work to the style of the video itself. :wacko:

Yep, that pretty much sums up the entirety of European industrial fine china lol.  I've seen other videos I can't find now of the entire process of making plates and it is totally automated, even the QC!!

Archived