Moldy canvas

I found nothing in my search of topic so I'll ask my question here, since it is about mold. I have never had any mold in or on anything in my studio. I have a new clay I've not used before and new drywall boards I'm using to dry my herb markers. I have never had mold develop on drywall, which I've used for years with all types of clay. I am not worried about the mold--it isn't gonna hurt anything--I am just curious--is it likely coming from the moist clay or is there something about drywall that could promote it? There are no changes to the studio environment (& I run AC & a dehumidifier when needed). Here's a pic, but it's gotten worse since then. The stakes are drying under smooth tiles to provide some weight. Plastic alone is not sufficient to keep the tips flat.  The clay is fairly soft--it's a W1A cone 6 Sheffield white stoneware w/molochite grog -could the molochite be provoking the mold?  If this should be posted elsewhere-feel free to move it! 

20200725_091226 (2).jpg

Whatever you do do not wash the canvas as it ruined it. It gets funky and will not be as flat again. I saw this happen about 35 years ago to another potter.I think baking soda in warm water will also kill it.

3 hours ago, LeeU said:

could the molochite be provoking the mold

I suppose it could be a decent food for a specific mold spore. Usually mold spores are present everywhere and simply wait for the correct conditions to begin growing. Humidity is key and the drywall is a great source of food. My guess would be this drywall for whatever reason is the perfect moisture for this mold to grow.  Likely higher in moisture for a longer period of time than you have previously experienced. Is the clay simply more moist than you are accustomed to, seams likely in this case.

Mold spores  exist everywhere through the world, in every house on the planet and simply wait patiently for the right conditions to grow. Generally that means moisture.

Thanks Bill--the clay is more moist than any I've ever used and I found out today-by going back to where I got the drywall (several 4/4 pieces, at a discounted price) that the whole stack of partials had been sitting outside for a couple of weeks and were just brought inside recently. The humidity out there is pushing 85%. I think I can call it 'mystery solved'. 

Rained lightly for all of 15 minutes this morning.   We're in a drought.  NH climate is no nowhere near as horrible as Virginia was (lived there for 30 years). I love-love-love the snow & cold weather & it's a long season, so it suits me fine here-we skip spring (maybe have 2-3 weeks of it, after Mud Season has run its course) and have a short but blazing summer, then by Sept. your plants could freeze overnight (OK exaggerating just a bit). 

On 7/27/2020 at 8:59 PM, LeeU said:

mystery solved

Number 2....

The drywall may be the cause of those peices breaking.

I found it to dry stuff way too fast.

Also, of you are sandwhiching them to keep em flat, and that pins the ends, or anywhere, which it will, they won't be able to shrink.

I use half inch Hardie backer, it is just slow enough. And mold free. 

Sorce

Archived