Batt wash

Nicwik

Hi

I have recently applied Batt wash to my kiln shelves.  This has been fired for the first time since reapplying it and the batt wash seems to have turned back to a powder and has fallen all over when lifting the kiln shelves out. This has never happened before and I am wondering if anyone can shed some light on why it’s turned to powder and if it is a problem. I mixed my own as usual from the batt wash powder I bought and applied a few coats. 

The amaco kiln wash I've tried was powdery once fired, I use local stuff now and it works great.  I have made my own in the past but was never able to get it to last as long as the local pottery supply house brand. It's cheap so I just buy it.

Stuff sucks up glaze like you wouldn't believe.  I can have a pot lose all of its glaze in a puddle around a mug and itll come right off, it's amazing 

With this Covid thing, I have given up  using bat wash.  I figure if the bats want to stay clean, they can shower off in the rain.  Besides, it was nearly impossible to teach them social distancing.  They would not keep their masks on when they were out of their cave.  lol...

Jed

On 6/13/2020 at 3:43 PM, neilestrick said:

Did you buy the same brand wash as usual? Some commercial kiln washes just don't hold very well. Others flake if they're too thick. How did you apply it? One thick layer or several thin layers?

Hi, I used the same one I’ve used for years this is why it’s baffled me so much. Never had problems with it before. I mixed the powder with water and when it fired it turned back into the powder I started with. I put a few thin layers on as it literally dries as soon as the brush hits the shelf. Then smoothed it over to create a flat surface. 

6 hours ago, Nicwik said:

Hi, I used the same one I’ve used for years this is why it’s baffled me so much. Never had problems with it before. I mixed the powder with water and when it fired it turned back into the powder I started with. I put a few thin layers on as it literally dries as soon as the brush hits the shelf. Then smoothed it over to create a flat surface. 

Could be they messed up that batch, or they changed the formula. Making your own is the way to go. Do a quick search on the forum and you'll find several good recipes.

KILN WASH

50% alumina hydrate

25% EPK 

25% calcined EPK

mix to heavy cream consistency-I usea paint roller but it can be brushed-not to thick

I like two coats-wait to dry between coats

I'm with JED I leave my bats unwashed its to hard to catch them at night

Archived