Adding depth to encapsulated stains

13 minutes ago, docweathers said:

I like some of the colors that I get using encapsulated stains but I don't like how  monochromatic they are. What can I do to get a little more depth to the colors?

You could try one of the semimatte base glazes from mastering cone 6 glazes and doing a natural cool, this will have some areas of gloss and some areas of semi matte.  Or you can try adding a little titanium or light Rutile as well.

1 hour ago, docweathers said:

I like some of the colors that I get using encapsulated stains but I don't like how  monochromatic they are. What can I do to get a little more depth to the colors?

It's the nature of the beast. Rutile or titanium dioxide can help but it won't give the depth that oxides can. If you add just a tiny bit of zircopax (2%) it can help clear up the opaque look glazes made with these stains sometimes have, I know it sounds counterintuitive but it helps.

13 hours ago, Min said:

It's the nature of the beast. Rutile or titanium dioxide can help but it won't give the depth that oxides can. If you add just a tiny bit of zircopax (2%) it can help clear up the opaque look glazes made with these stains sometimes have, I know it sounds counterintuitive but it helps.

What's going on there Min?

Encapsulated stains don't go into the melt the same way regular oxides do. They're more just suspended in the glass rather than becoming part of the glass, which is why they lack depth. Maybe experiment with layering them with glazes that use traditional oxides, or with clear glazes.

23 hours ago, docweathers said:

Doc,  

Look at Ron Nagle's work.  His pieces has lots of color depth.  His technique is to spray thin layers of clear glaze over the colored layers fire and add another layer of clear, fire.  Some of his pieces have been fired 20-30 times. He learned this approach (or so he said in an interview long ago) from his youth decorating hot-rod automobiles.  That is also the approach my painting professor recommended
in painting classes. 

LT

5 hours ago, Magnolia Mud Research said:

Doc,  

Look at Ron Nagle's work.  His pieces has lots of color depth.  His technique is to spray thin layers of clear glaze over the colored layers fire and add another layer of clear, fire.  Some of his pieces have been fired 20-30 times. He learned this approach (or so he said in an interview long ago) from his youth decorating hot-rod automobiles.  That is also the approach my painting professor recommended
in painting classes. 

LT

I have experimented with a single layer of clear over encapsulated stains and that certainly helps. The idea of repeated firing of thin  coats is interesting, but I really don't understand how that would work.  I have no experience in refiring  pots.  I don't understand how you would not just melt both the prior layer and the most recent layer of clear so that it would behave like a thicker original coat.

Please explain.

I did find some pictures of Ron Nagle's work on the web, but it is hard to appreciate the depth of the glaze from the pictures.

Archived