USA Federal Unemployment benefits for potters?

Hi, I’ve been searching for a week but haven’t been able to confirm if independent working potters qualify for Federal unemployment benefits here in USA?

This is the first time I’ve ever had the need to ask for this kind of assistance. I’m a bit lost. I browsed through the link with resources but didn’t spot any information about the Federal Programs…

Thanks

Thanks,  just saw Senator Schumer on TV saying that the legislation was set  to include part-time workers and self employed… So, I also think potters should qualify for some kind of benefits, don’t which, though.

Maybe the new form the Senator was referring to is not ready yet…

Have all my papers/tax info in order. I hope some kind of help comes through. It’s not like I wasn’t prepared for an emergency, but not this kind. It could take 6 months or more for things to go back to normal…

don't expect much, the news item i heard mentioned the $1200 that is going to everyone out of work.   if i heard it right and remember it right.

as a business owner, today you can apply for a loan.  i know nothing about this, it is an SBA loan, i think.

@enbarro There are now unemployment funds available for the self employed, whereas before that wasn't the case. The money is coming from the feds, but the states actually implement it. You'll need to check with your state unemployment office. In my state (IL) they still haven't gotten the details worked out for the self-employed to be able to apply for unemployment benefits, but they have acknowledged that they are working on it.

Thanks Neil, that was the confirmation I was looking for. I  had checked the local government's website and I didn’t qualify to fill the regular unemployment form. Then, thought maybe I needed to check some Federal website to find the form and didn’t find one either. It’s likely that the local government is still in the process of ironing the details too.

58 minutes ago, oldlady said:

don't expect much, the news item i heard mentioned the $1200 that is going to everyone out of work.   if i heard it right and remember it right.

as a business owner, today you can apply for a loan.  i know nothing about this, it is an SBA loan, i think.

Thanks

3 hours ago, Mark C. said:

Wow I have been paying in with self employment tax  yearly most of my life (45 years) and I can get some back-now thats news.

I just found out a few days ago, that's why I thought it was a good idea to start the thread.  Probably there are many potters in the same situation...  

19 hours ago, Mark C. said:

Wow I have been paying in with self employment tax  yearly most of my life (45 years) and I can get some back-now thats news.

Well when you retire you get the self employment tax back because it's the employee and employer portion of payroll for social security and medicare. I have never understood why they don't collect unemployment  insurance with that tax that for people who close their businesses though.

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

Well when you retire you get the self employment tax back because it's the employee and employer portion of payroll for social security and medicare. I have never understood why they don't collect unemployment  insurance with that tax that for people who close their businesses though.

You can pay it optionally, at least here in washington.  Not many do though!

3 hours ago, Stephen said:

I'm on medicare but am not yet drawing Soc security but I do get that it funds theses services.

22 hours ago, liambesaw said:

You can pay it optionally, at least here in washington.  Not many do though!

wow, I didn't know that. Will have to check it out here in Texas (unlikely) and everyone should consider doing that if they ever go full time. Its not a huge sum of money (I've paid it as part of my payroll) and if you go under but manage to put in enough quarters it will help keep the wolf away from the door while you figure out a plan B.

• 3 weeks later...

A friend sent me this and the program rolls out Tuesday in Califonia for folks like me.

(We spoke a few weeks ago regarding the new program under the CARES Act , known as the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance Program that helps unemployed Californians who are business owners, self-employed, independent contractors, have limited work history, and others not usually eligible for regular state UI benefits who are out of business or services are significantly reduced as a direct result of the pandemic.)

Its thru the states unemployment online services

we shall see how smooth this works

Archived