Tips for Improving my Throwing Skills?

Hello All,

I would like to improve my throwing skills and branch out to new forms. I have been throwing off and on for about 7 years. I took a community arts class in 2013 where we went over wheel techniques for 2 classes - about 4 hours total... so I never really got any in depth instruction on the wheel. 

Currently I feel that I am proficient at cylinders and some vase forms, but again, never actually taught how to make vases, so they come out a little funky sometimes. Here is a photo of a few pieces I threw today. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VviENWh2R9gdKbah8

I have perused Youtube and there are a great variety of videos to watch but where to start? Are there any channels you particularly find useful for improving? 

Or are there any general tips you can share for improving skills on the wheel? I would eventually like to be able to throw a pitcher, plates, and large platters. 

Any tips are appreciated!

Looks like you need to make your cylinders narrower to start with if you want to throw a vase. I usually start with about 4-6# of clay and throw a cylinder 3-5" in diameter. Try to get the cylinder to about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Then shape the bottom slowly to a vase bulb, then pull a little thinner and taller for the top part of the vase-gently, continue shaping til you have the form you want.

best,

Pres

elise, if you can find the book Pottery Workshop by Charles Counts, written in the 1970s, it will take you through the progression from a small flat cylinder to a variety of shapes.   it is still the best i have seen for learning the skills to make anything on a wheel.    if available in paperback it should be under ten dollars, probably under five.

Archived