dry new molds in sun for first use

I have normally been able to just let newly poured molds sit around for a week or two before using so this has not been an issue but I have a few new ones from yesterday that I am anxious to use. I did read several comments and in one from 7 years ago someone said it was fine to just put them out in the sum, standing on end so they don't warp. I only saw one person say that. Is that an OK way to do it. Today is supposed to get into low 90's but 70% humidity. Tomorrow is mid 90's clear sky with low humidity.

Appreciate input. 

Not finding any info regarding pottery plaster warping. We put our bats and slabs outside to dry after removing from molds, rounding corners and scraping the tops - more for air movement than sun, although surely the radiant energy helps - on cardboard, as the plaster is delicate whilst still damp, flipping over periodically.

https://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/topic/1550-drying-plaster-molds/

Moving air - as you no doubt see with your clay - makes all the difference, where the leeward side will dry slower, so rotate!

Detailed article: http://www.ceramicsmadeeasy.com/cme-articles/about-ceramic-molds/storage-and-care-of-ceramic-molds/127/index.html

so you think in direct sunlight or just back patio with air flow is good? Do have fans but they are an hour away in storage :-)

On the warping, not sure which post but the one that mentioned drying in sunlight put on narrow edge to avoid warping in parens,

8 hours ago, Stephen said:

I have normally been able to just let newly poured molds sit around for a week or two before using so this has not been an issue but I have a few new ones from yesterday that I am anxious to use. I did read several comments and in one from 7 years ago someone said it was fine to just put them out in the sum, standing on end so they don't warp. I only saw one person say that. Is that an OK way to do it. Today is supposed to get into low 90's but 70% humidity. Tomorrow is mid 90's clear sky with low humidity.

Appreciate input. 

I put my bats in my kiln up to 220^f

If these are slip cast two three or 4 piece molds leasve the bands on them as soon as they are hard enough to bnd and dry with air on them -You want the mating surfaces to fit tight together as they dry to mate well

If they are press molds who cares and put them into sun-same with throwing bats.

You have not said what kind of molds you are making-need a bit motre info fo a better answer

12 hours ago, Mark C. said:

You have not said what kind of molds you are making-need a bit more info fo a better answer

Thanks Mark, they are press molds for tiles. They need to all stay the same size. I have ditched air release molds so need a lot more press molds so I can still make large batches. Just adding as I go.  

Archived