Old cress kiln plug is different from receptor

AnnaVela

Got a second hand kiln (in a really good condition) basically for free and thought I would fire it occasionally at home. It’s a Cress B23H. I was hoping to plug it in my dryer receptor, but the cord is shorter than I thought and plugs are different. (I think it’s not visible in the photo, there is 30amp 2pole breaker for dryer). What would be a good solution? Get a new cord? Any ideas?

84501E31-8CC4-4DE1-BD0D-AC5ECF87EC0A.jpeg

C204D503-1A13-4E0F-B96C-E44652BD7CE7.jpeg

0B4788EE-8292-4C82-95E4-AE5847F988A5.jpeg

FB0339BD-E1AA-4FF6-BDD6-AB4E84B60805.jpeg

3A20E6F5-618C-4EF3-AA63-9F2EE08EE123.jpeg

Kiln power cords should be rated to 105C. Most power cord you can buy at home centers and hardware stores are only rated to 90C. If your kiln uses ring terminals to connect the cord to the kiln system, they should be high temp connectors. You can get 105C power cord online at McMaster Carr- just search for SEOOW Cord. You'll need 3 wire cord rate for 30 amps. Keep the cord as short as possible. You can probably get the plug at Home Depot or such. When you hook it up, you'll be hooking up the 2 hots and 1 ground, and leaving the 1 neutral blank. Make sure you're hooking in to the correct connections on the plug for those wires.

Or you can buy this.

Thank you. I found the 10’ cord which would be enough length. Cord  I’ve checked the wires inside the kiln and trying to figure out now how to connect properly. As I understand two upper connections are hot 1,2 and one ground 3 (Or neutral?) on the side? If I would buy this cord how do I connect correct (color wise)?

8B0395BF-145C-4195-99ED-B59694725DB7.jpeg

2 hours ago, neilestrick said:

Kiln power cords should be rated to 105C. Most power cord you can buy at home centers and hardware stores are only rated to 90C. If your kiln uses ring terminals to connect the cord to the kiln system, they should be high temp connectors. You can get 105C power cord online at McMaster Carr- just search for SEOOW Cord. You'll need 3 wire cord rate for 30 amps. Keep the cord as short as possible. You can probably get the plug at Home Depot or such. When you hook it up, you'll be hooking up the 2 hots and 1 ground, and leaving the 1 neutral blank. Make sure you're hooking in to the correct connections on the plug for those wires.

Or you can buy this.

Thank you for your input! From what I’m reading, the temperature range for the wires mostly affecting its life span and if, for example, I plan to use this kiln for about 2 years and then move on, I probably can go with the 90 rate wire, right? It should not affect the operation of the kiln and produce any safe hazards (or am I wrong?). 
Here where I read about the temperature ratings: Temperature rating

Anyways if I get the L&L cord (which I love because it’s 12’!) I should connect two hot wires (red and black) to any top kiln connectors (1&2 in the photo, doesn’t matter which to which, correct?). The green goes to the side (3) and white I just leave hanging free? Is this correct?

16 hours ago, AnnaVela said:

Thank you for your input! From what I’m reading, the temperature range for the wires mostly affecting its life span and if, for example, I plan to use this kiln for about 2 years and then move on, I probably can go with the 90 rate wire, right? It should not affect the operation of the kiln and produce any safe hazards (or am I wrong?). 

Anyways if I get the L&L cord (which I love because it’s 12’!) I should connect two hot wires (red and black) to any top kiln connectors (1&2 in the photo, doesn’t matter which to which, correct?). The green goes to the side (3) and white I just leave hanging free? Is this correct?

It's not just about life span, it's about how well it can handle the heat near the kiln. The last thing you want is the wiring getting hot, as that does cause a dangerous situation. A lot will depend on the design of the kiln as to how well the cord is insulated from the heat of the kiln. I have seen many kilns where people have put 90C cords on them, but 105C is recommended.

If you use the 4 wire cord, you can just cut the white wire short and tape it off so the end can't make contact with anything.

17 hours ago, AnnaVela said:

A suggestion:
To be safe use the 105c rated cable, it is safer. Most codes require cord connections to not exceed 6 feet in length to reduce over heating of the cord. Your dryer outlet is likely wired with 3#10 wires (two colors and a white neutral) and a #12 or #14 ground.  Better to use all the #10 wires meaning the two hots will be used for L1&L2 and I would suggest tagging the white as green and using it for your ground. Better to use a fully rated #10 wire for your ground since it is available. Bond the existing #12 or #14 green wire  securely inside your metal box. It no longer will be connected to your outlet.

plenty of  places to order cord and receptacles On the internet, 105c cord and NEMA 10/30  cord end and receptacle Look likely required for what you are doing.

7 minutes ago, neilestrick said:

I think she's planning on keeping the outlet as is so that the dryer can still be used with it.

Ahh, that works!

@AnnaVela
In that case use the old neutral receptacle  pin for your case ground connection to your new plug.. That way we know it’s a #10 ground back to the panel and don’t have to worry about what it is. You will want a proper 105c cord anyway as someday someone else will likely  use this kiln

1 hour ago, Bill Kielb said:

Ahh, that works!

@AnnaVela
In that case use the old neutral receptacle  pin for your case ground connection to your new plug.. That way we know it’s a #10 ground back to the panel and don’t have to worry about what it is.

Ok got it! Yes, I’m going to use the outlet for the dryer and just switch them when needed. So looking for the 105 wire then. What about the plug and eyelet terminals? It’s seems that most plugs are rated 75C. Does the temperature rating plays role here as well? I would assume that everything should be rated for high temperature. Could you point me to the website where I could look for all parts? I’m leaning towards the L&L cord, but it’s a bit over my budget right now, but maybe it’s worth just buy it and not to be worried about all the parts... And also in case of this cord I won’t be able to swap the neutral and ground wires as you recommended.

On 2/17/2020 at 11:35 AM, AnnaVela said:

Ok got it! Yes, I’m going to use the outlet for the dryer and just switch them when needed. So looking for the 105 wire then. What about the plug and eyelet terminals? It’s seems that most plugs are rated 75C. Does the temperature rating plays role here as well? I would assume that everything should be rated for high temperature. Could you point me to the website where I could look for all parts? I’m leaning towards the L&L cord, but it’s a bit over my budget right now, but maybe it’s worth just buy it and not to be worried about all the parts... And also in case of this cord I working be able to swap the neutral and ground wires as you recommended.

A ring terminal is best but If you can’t crimp then  they make mechanical lug connectors. See pic below, stranded wire gets trapped under the copper tab. The screw presses on the tab which traps the wire firmly in the lug. Home Depot likely has these for very cheap. Tighten this thoroughly to ensure a lasting connection. As far as plugs go, I am not aware of special temp requirements other than UL approved for their rating. Cords overheat because of their length and the conductors trapped within them as well as their use entering a kiln  and the amperage they carry which is likely why for kilns need 105c or better. Besides they need to remain flexible and still insulate from short throughout their life. A bit different than a plug or cord end.

you should be able to get all of this for maybe 20 - 35 bucks looking on  the internet. I googled up some Home Depot parts below. Oops, standby got to find your dryer plug. I marked the most likely wiring for your existing dryer receptacle. Given a choice, I would use the #10 wire for your case ground.

The other thought that strikes me is to add a box adjacent to this with the receptacle that matches your existing cord. Everything would need to be wired for thirty Amps and using both appliances concurrently would not be allowed but if your cord is in good shape it might save you the trouble of buying all this stuff. There are good easy ways to install an adjacent receptacle  though. Not expensive, just proper.

Ok, one more question on this thread )) Are the range cords are also 90C rated? The same as dryer cords? Can’t find the information on the temperature rating for those. Something like this Range cord They have different gauge (2x6 and 1 x 8), not sure how this affects the operation.

Had an idea just swapping the plug for it and connecting it as we discussed before 2 hots and 1 ground.

On 2/17/2020 at 4:12 PM, Rockhopper said:

Neither THD nor Lowes list the temperature rating on their website - but when I zoomed in on the pic on THD's site, I see that the jacket is labeled SRDT.   I did a search for SRDT cords, and anyplace I found one that does list the temperature, has it as 60C. 

image.png.6ce8c9938c5bf62e697e936ebe7ee033.png

@AnnaVela
Best I could find 20.00 minimum order :https://www.wireandcableyourway.com/

• 1 year later...

Hello.  This is the conversation I am looking for. A quick question too.  I am looking at buying a kiln with a nema 6-30 plug.  My power outlet has a nema 10-30 receptacle and is rated at 50 amps.    The kiln requires 30 amps.  Would it be alright to use an adapter of some sort rather than change the wall adapter.   From what I read above  they seem to have the same wiring configuration just incompatible plugs.  Thanks

3 hours ago, MlpArlee said:

The kiln requires 30 amps.  Would it be alright to use an adapter of some sort rather than change the wall adapter.

Never had good luck with adapters, just more connections. Change the plug or receptacle. I would pick the plug and make it match the receptacle. You will need to size the breaker appropriately though so you can look up the breaker size from the manufacture or the usual requirement of a minimum of 125% of the full load, not to exceed 150% of the full load. I would pick the higher rated and change the plug because it would last longer and have less losses than scrapping the in place receptacle.

Change out the power outlet (receptacle ) and change out the breaker to a double pole 240/220 breaker 40 amp breaker-Get rid of the 50 amp breaker until you need it again. That way the breaker will protect the kiln . Thats if the kiln plate says it uses 30 amps and you need to add 25% for safety margin.

For some reason nobody says what the kiln plate really says-so i assume your kiln draws 30 amps= 40 amp  breaker 

Outlet change or buy a new cord (outlet is cheaper I think) and you need a new 40 amp doulbe pole breaker .

Since you said its a 50 amp breaker and outlet the wire is plenty large (#6) -the plug needs to be reconfigured (new outlet) and the breaker needs to be smaller to protect kiln wire size (cord) 40 amps is usually #8 wire but since you have #6 you can leave it .

Archived