The Great pottery Throwdown is Back on YouTube

Recently it was noted that The Great pottery Throwdown is back! When the Season #3 started it was not available outside of the UK...It is now available on YouTube. So take advantage, kickback, and relax while you watch potters compete against each other and the clock over probably 12-16 weeks to see who is the best at completing some really interesting and/or inane assignments!

thanks for the reminder.   i have seen the first 3.   it is really strange that they think that people who have absolutely no experience with different methods should be "competing" at all.   surely these people have at least read something about slip casting, for example.

This Season, has been very enjoyable. 

There are a couple very strong competitors, that I am fairly confident will make the finals.

Like oldlady said, it is surprising that people don't try and make themselves more rounded, before appearing.

There have been many times this Season, where a person will say, "I'm a thrower, I don't know how to sculpt." or "I'm a sculptor, I don't know how to throw".  They generally know, what they will be expected to do, so making yourself well rounded would be beneficial. 

I don't know how long of a heads up they get before filming starts, but if I were on the show, I'd put a lot of time into practicing a wide range of techniques and forms. 

52 minutes ago, Benzine said:

This Season, has been very enjoyable. 

There are a couple very strong competitors, that I am fairly confident will make the finals.

Like oldlady said, it is surprising that people don't try and make themselves more rounded, before appearing.

There have been many times this Season, where a person will say, "I'm a thrower, I don't know how to sculpt." or "I'm a sculptor, I don't know how to throw".  They generally know, what they will be expected to do, so making yourself well rounded would be beneficial. 

I don't know how long of a heads up they get before filming starts, but if I were on the show, I'd put a lot of time into practicing a wide range of techniques and forms. 

Well you had to apply to be on the show, so I have a sneaky suspicion a lot of these people are saying those things for dramatic effect.

Also I'm sure the producers chose contestants based mostly on personality in order to make the show entertaining.

Was fun watching season one, I'll have to check out the new ones.

25 minutes ago, LeeU said:

New to me...this should be fun for a bit. They almost lost me in S1-E1, however,  with the comment that thick walls make unattractive bowls.  I work so hard to get my nice thick walls--kinda took that personally!  

That's funny, I had the worst problem for the longest time of making my bowls too thin.  I had to replace so many bowls because of it, and I had the damnedest time throwing them thicker for whatever reason.  

Now unless I'm throwing a rice bowl, screw it, I'm making that sucker at least a quarter inch thick, people deserve something durable.

liam, there is a difference between thinner than a quarter inch and not durable.  i do not have a micrometer but my bowls and other work are nearly always less than a quarter inch.   and they sometimes bounce when they hit the floor but are unhurt.   i have dropped one or two  on the driveway while spraying glaze and picked up the piece to finish it.

thick is not necessarily stronger, just heavier.  i think i depends on the clay and the compression while forming.

anyhow, the last night throwdown was interesting.  making tile and a chimney pot let us see who can do what well.

1 hour ago, oldlady said:

liam, there is a difference between thinner than a quarter inch and not durable.  i do not have a micrometer but my bowls and other work are nearly always less than a quarter inch.   and they sometimes bounce when they hit the floor but are unhurt.   i have dropped one or two  on the driveway while spraying glaze and picked up the piece to finish it.

thick is not necessarily stronger, just heavier.  i think i depends on the clay and the compression while forming.

anyhow, the last night throwdown was interesting.  making tile and a chimney pot let us see who can do what well.

I was making my bowls 1-2mm thick and they were not bouncing anywhere, my dogs were breaking them when knocking them off of the coffee table.  I guess a quarter inch is bigger than I thought, I making them about 4mm thick now which is closer to 1/8th of an inch.  I still don't try to bounce them though.  For my big bowls I go 5-6mm.  

I like the look of thin stuff, maybe if I ever move to porcelain I can go back, I dont think my stoneware is durable enough though.

I've also been trying to make my mugs a little thicker, but have never had a durability issue, on my mugs I have noticed the thinner they are, the faster coffee cools down.

This is my favorite tv show! I just love watching what the contestants come up with, how they help each other and grow to be a clay family!

I take note of all the challenges and hope to complete some of the projects too. I wish there was a similar competition closer to home haha.

12 minutes ago, sorhain said:

This is my favorite tv show! I just love watching what the contestants come up with, how they help each other and grow to be a clay family!

I take note of all the challenges and hope to complete some of the projects too. I wish there was a similar competition closer to home haha.

I think there's a competition at NCECA every year put on by Skutt, I could be wrong though.  They're taking signups now if you're going

• 2 weeks later...

episode 8 is now on youtube.   it is interesting to me that everyone has a different way of interpreting a shape that is classic.   there is a pit firing also for those who want to see one done in an actual hole in the ground.  the one i attended was done in a just built house type brick cube about 3/4 feet on a side.   that one cooled by late afternoon.

Archived