Silicon Carbide on Shelves?

I assume you have glaze catchers for all the crystalline  wares as they run? Either made from trown trays or soft bricks?if your other pots are sticking use alumina either in wax or in kiln wash.

Loose silicone carbide in an electric is not so good.if you get the granualers dropped into the elements they conduct electricity if I recall.

alumina hydrate will cure all sticking wherever you have it.

Granted this is a quick google search for these items and not a thorough price comparison, but I found 500g of 400 mesh silicon carbide for approx $21 CDN, and the same place was selling 2 Kg of alumina hydrate for $19.95. (Knock off about 25-30% for the US exchange rate and then add it back in to cover shipping.)

US Pigment had 150 mesh silicon for $4 USD for one pound, but appears not to carry alumina hydrate for comparison. (Maybe they’re just out at the moment?)

Cost and availability might play into why more people don’t do this too.

16 minutes ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

Granted this is a quick google search for these items and not a thorough price comparison, but I found 500g of 400 mesh silicon carbide for approx $21 CDN, and the same place was selling 2 Kg of alumina hydrate for $19.95. (Knock off about 25-30% for the US exchange rate and then add it back in to cover shipping.)

US Pigment had 150 mesh silicon for $4 USD for one pound, but appears not to carry alumina hydrate for comparison. (Maybe they’re just out at the moment?)

Cost and availability might play into why more people don’t do this too.

https://uspigment.com/product/aluminum-hydrate/

Thanks for all the support-

I have excess Silicon Carbide that I don't use anymore so was thinking about using it.

My friend uses gas kilns and recommended me go on here and ask you input. I don't have too many sticking issues, more just random glaze drips He showed me how well it worked with the Silicon Carbide. I will try a thin layer of Alumina Hydrate this firing.

Last time I bought a 50# bag of alumina hydrate (a  few years ago) it was .97 cents a pound-of course this is with the 12 ton pricing break . 

Best to buy in quantity if you use the stuff enough. 

The other thought I have is with advancer shelves glaze does not stick ever -of course they are pricey but if you fire enough and want never to grind glaze in pot marked shelves they are the way to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Silicon carbide is the ingredient used in lava glazes and you'll get the same thing with glaze runs on silicon carbide shelves.  I can't say I've observed this personally with the Advancers, but certainly have with the cheaper SC shelves.  The glaze will bubble when it hits the SC.  It still will grind off, but not as cleanly , especially if the glaze drip is significant.

Archived