Clear Glaze on Bottom of piece

1 hour ago, Pots and Peaces said:

Hi! Can i put a clear coat of glaze on the bottom of my pieces? I have a customer who would like the mugs I am making to have more of a shiny smooth feel, so I was thinking I could use underglaze on the bottom. Am I able to put a clear glaze on the bottom of my piece? 

If the mugs have a foot ring then by all means many folks glaze the inside or the foot.  The very bottom of the foot will need to remain unglazed  though. Liam is spot on with diamond pads. A super easy one that I have used  is a fine diamond pad that comes glued to a batt. Throw it on the wheel, a tiny bit of water and you can make any foot smooth as glass and very flat with 30 seconds of grinding. Easy to do a whole set within minutes perfectly flat and smooth.

Quick pic of glazed inside foot ring example below

845364B7-19C6-4E0C-A25A-CB7A88843F78.jpeg

Bill's pic, above

Here's a red clay pot that's been polished. The pot's interior is poured in and out, the outside is dipped, the foot ring interior is brushed (however, want to try using an ear bulb to put just enough to cover, as Hsin-Chuen Lin demos in his videos...). I'm looking to make the part that touches the table smooth, so it doesn't catch or scratch, and also put a small radius on the outside edge - a polished corner is too sharp, imo. You can see where the glaze ends on the inside part of the foot ring - the outside of the foot ring is bare clay all the way to the corner where the wall starts.

Doesn't take long - keep it wet, keep it moving, tip up and round off the corner last.

I'd recommend the larger discs and medium grit, perhaps 600, which may be "too smooth" but still cuts fast enough. I bought a six inch 1200 grit, which is a bit slow - the disc was cheap. Next one bigger, courser.

polished foot.JPG

The medium moves faster - at the outside edge - on a bigger disc. Also there's more material to wear out - lasts longer.

Archived