Thomas Stuart Wheel Questions

RICHARD SE

hi all 

can anyone who has a Thomas Stuart pottery wheel tell me the goods and bads of this brand as I am looking to buy as they have the easy removable wheel head witch I like ,

there are several different models, looking at the Thomas Stuart Revolution Potter's Wheel -

one of the main things I want is very good speed control at very slow speed and power at high speed

hope someone with experience with this brand  can help as I am importing from the US to AUSTRALIA along with a kiln and other pottery products as these are very expensive here 

THANKYOU ALL 

REGARDS RICHARD 

I really like my prodigy, which is their budget wheel.  It has great power at low and high speed.  The only "con" I've heard about Skutt wheels is that they are loud?  I don't really notice it being loud, but I am throwing by myself in a shed so it's not like I have to talk over it or anything and I can hear my music just fine at a normal volume.

6 hours ago, RICHARD SE said:

Hi there

thanks for your helpful information 
does your wheel have good consistent speed at very low speed

regards richard 

Yeah I can't complain.  They have the SSX controller option on the other models for extra smoothness at low speed as well.  

I have 11 TS/Skutt wheels, and I think they have excellent slow speed control. I do not have the SSX on any of them because I think they are plenty smooth without it.  However if you have the money it certainly wouldn't hurt to get it. There are 6 different adjustments you can make to the controller, so you shouldn't have any trouble getting in dialed in for how you work.

41 minutes ago, neilestrick said:

I have 11 TS/Skutt wheels, and I think they have excellent slow speed control. I do not have the SSX on any of them because I think they are plenty smooth without it.  However if you have the money it certainly wouldn't hurt to get it. There are 6 different adjustments you can make to the controller, so you shouldn't have any trouble getting in dialed in for how you work.

6 adjustments? Wow, I should really find a manual for mine

Hi Richard,

I have the Steven Hill model - found a deal on a "used" unit (pre-owned, not actually used) - still not sure what the ssx controller offers over standard controllers; the Brent wheels I've used seemed sensitive enough. I don't mind the color, and the extension legs may come in handy some day, also the small shaft extender for large bats, although I just clay pad a large diameter bat onto a 1" thick bat to clear the edge of the splash pan, having forgotten about the shaft extender (until just now, duh, having just reviewed the features).

Any road, my controller pedal can be set such that it takes a few minutes to perceive the wheel has moved at all, then smoothly ramp up to perceptible movement, e.g. 4rpm, and up from there, smooth and predictable. The Brent wheels I've used have spun slowly and steady enough to apply slip and then texture said slip with a brush, slow and steady.

I very much prefer the solid (thick heavy aluminum casting) splash pan; I rest my forearms on it when throwing and trimming, hang handles off it to firm up, and lean tools up against it on the inside. I'm also appreciating all the space; there's plenty of room for antique one gallon throwing water bucket within the splash pan - easy reach and less dribbles/mess elsewhere. I'm not having any trouble clearing out slop, trimmings, etc.; others pull the wheel head for that - I just leave it in place.

On the other hand, looks like a solid pinch point between the wheel and that pan (right side for me, clockwise turning), where a plastic pan would likely give way before serious injury. Hence, no reaching anywhere near that pinch point whilst the wheel is turning, and if foot has to be resting on the pedal, firmly seated and stationary one must be, period, ahem, else get that foot well away, and while at it, turn off the switch and dump the residual power by popping that pedal. I still prefer the solid pan.

Don't see where the half horsepower wouldn't be enough; it's a beast. I'd like to know where a half horsepower Skutt is "better" over their one third models.

Skutt is responsive, clear, and knowledgeable. I called to inquire about transferring warrantee to me; having read the serial number from the Craigslist ad, history of that wheel was read back to me, including the sale date and expiration of the five year warrantee, over 3.5 years remaining, transferrable, no problem. From there I was transferred to a tech for my other questions, quick, clear, complete. My guess is the discounted units you see advertised have been sitting longer, for the warrantee countdown begins on ship date to retailer - call Skutt to confirm, don't take my word on't.

As for controller documentation, there's this

https://skutt.com/images/18.2-SSX-Controller-Upgrade.pdf

...not particularly helpful; looks like the adjustable bits have legend written on the board next to'm, so, will take a look, as I'd like to push up the max speed just a bit for chattering smaller diameter work. I'll post back findings. My guess is standard controller has similar ...err, lookie here Liamb

https://skutt.com/skutt-resources/diagrams/other/

That's helpful, the writing onna board by each pot is clearly legible, hoo!

Now'm gonna go look, after some 2nd lunch; Skutt website says the ssx controller doesn't have a lighted switch, hrrm, my switch is lighted.

Update I:

The board looks like that depicted in the "SSX Controller Upgrade" pdf; the legends on the board by each pot are legible, aye.

Update II:

One may search for board manufacturer documentation, e.g. "MINARIK PCMXP BOARD" and/or "MINARIK MM23001C BOARD" and proceed from there (note the warnings) 

aaaand finally, Richard, imo you can't go wrong with a Brent or Skutt, let us know how it goes, eh?

From what I've seen, pottery supply stores keep one display model in stock and drop ship units from the manufacturer when purchased.  My Skutt prodigy is 7 years old according to the guy I bought it from, but I'm not worried, I've never had an issue.  One thing to keep in mind though is that you need to buy some zinc anti-seize grease for the shaft connection.  Keep it greased or it can start becoming a real pain to remove.  The prodigy has the small round splash pan so removing the wheelhead is a requirement to clean it, may not be an issue with the larger angled pan.

20 hours ago, RICHARD SE said:

hi all 

can anyone who has a Thomas Stuart pottery wheel tell me the goods and bads of this brand as I am looking to buy as they have the easy removable wheel head witch I like ,

there are several different models, looking at the Thomas Stuart Revolution Potter's Wheel -

one of the main things I want is very good speed control at very slow speed and power at high speed

hope someone with experience with this brand  can help as I am importing from the US to AUSTRALIA along with a kiln and other pottery products as these are very expensive here 

THANKYOU ALL 

REGARDS RICHARD 

Ditto these guys have it cheap eh!

21 hours ago, RICHARD SE said:

Hi there

thanks for your helpful information 
does your wheel have good consistent speed at very low speed

regards richard 

Hi Liam 

also I am looking at a kiln to buy but I see they all seem to have only 1 Pyrometric sensor.  I have seen here an evenheat kiln with 2 Pyrometric sensors   See picture 

mis it a big deal to have 2 sensors 

I am not experienced much with kilns 

15965089-AC6C-4BF7-8B21-3A527C3E7792.jpeg.2603a16868fa2c831b4db19603fa68e0.jpeg

• neilestrick changed the title to Thomas Stuart Wheel Questions
On 12/1/2019 at 3:33 AM, neilestrick said:

Hi Neil 

do the Skutt wheels have quick stop when you take your foot off the controller. 
REGARDS RICHARD 

On 12/8/2019 at 6:48 PM, RICHARD SE said:

Hi Neil 

do the Skutt wheels have quick stop when you take your foot off the controller. 
REGARDS RICHARD 

The non SSX controllers had a decel setting which may answer your question. Skutt likely has  instructions for setup . I do not believe they produce their own. Made by Minarik I believe, and likely set up to drive the wheel per Skutt safety and design limits.

• 3 weeks later...

hi im thinking to buy the skutt  ts elite or the revolution.

but before i pull the trigger can you people with skutts tell me which one do you think that is better :) ?

i don't know if the only difference is the removable splash pan.

also im from costa rica so i can not go to a store to test them.

Please help, and also have a great holiday season :)

8 minutes ago, Raq said:

but before i pull the trigger can you people with skutts tell me which one do you think that is better :) ?

I would go for a removable splash pan if you are going to be doing a lot of work or trimming in one sitting.  It's so nice to lift the wheelhead off and bring it to the garbage can to dump instead of picking it all out.

Nice choices, can't go wrong.  I haven't ever had an issue with power, even with the cheapest TS/Skutt wheel (the prodigy), so I can imagine the more expensive ones are quite powerful.

1 hour ago, Raq said:

I prefer the built in splash pan because it is heavier and more solid, especially if you like to brace your knees against the wheel. I don't mind scooping it out, only takes a couple minutes. The 1/3hp is more than enough power for most everyone.

thanks! finally end up buying the elite, because like to brace my knees against the wheel. So that's a super tip thank u all.  now  its only the waiting game until arrives to costa rica :) i will keep you posted :)

thanks again and happy holidays.

Archived