MFP

A true WHITE stoneware?

Ironically.....deciding on which porcelain was the easy part. Oregon White from Clay Art Center took glazes best....over Frost from Laguna.   I am still trying to find a stoneware. B mix took the glazes well but I worry about its strength.  There is a Bennett that is stronger but very tan. 

Curious why you need such a bright white stoneware?  I have never come across any claybody in cone 6 that comes out bright white and not grey/pink/tan.

What do you mean you worry about Bmix strength? When you say strength i think of restaurant crockery where even the glaze has to be strong and scratch proof. 

I know a couple of potters who are making bmix table wares for restaurants but they are most concerned with the right glaze recipes.

Actually, after a discussion with Min.....I am less concerned about this. It was more force of habit I suppose since stoneware was the norm when I was last working and workable porcelain was fairly non-existent.  I have actually found the new porcelains to be easier to work with than these new stonewares. I don't care for Bmix.....although it takes glazes well, I find it has all the disadvantages of porcelain and none of the advantages. Min noted more problem with S cracks with these stonewares and that has also been my experience.  I found a stoneware body from Clay Art Center.....a cone 6 and 10 versions that are for larger pieces and ovenware. So, if I need a stoneware, that is what I will use. After this first test fire, I see clearly that porcelain is  not "delicate".  The New Zealand porcelain from Clay Art Center is whiter than Frost and you could bludgeon someone to death with it.....it would take a lot to break it. So I think I have finally figured out what I am going to use for what. 

24 minutes ago, MFP said:

Actually, after a discussion with Min.....I am less concerned about this. It was more force of habit I suppose since stoneware was the norm when I was last working and workable porcelain was fairly non-existent.  I have actually found the new porcelains to be easier to work with than these new stonewares. I don't care for Bmix.....although it takes glazes well, I find it has all the disadvantages of porcelain and none of the advantages. Min noted more problem with S cracks with these stonewares and that has also been my experience.  I found a stoneware body from Clay Art Center.....a cone 6 and 10 versions that are for larger pieces and ovenware. So, if I need a stoneware, that is what I will use. After this first test fire, I see clearly that porcelain is  not "delicate".  The New Zealand porcelain from Clay Art Center is whiter than Frost and you could bludgeon someone to death with it.....it would take a lot to break it. So I think I have finally figured out what I am going to use for what. 

psst, that was Neil not me.

"B mix took the glazes well but I worry about its strength."

fwiw, am finding Aardvark bmix is tougher than other mid fire stoneware that I'm repurposing - crazed pieces as planters - via carbide chip drill bit chucked up in tabletop drill press to add a drain hole; the bmix takes longer. From there, being curious, I transitioned a few to the dustbin via hammer; that bmix is strong as well as tough.

Should anyone wish to try drilling, keep it wet/steaming, and watch out for sharp bits (eye protection, gloves, alla that)!

The drill press makes it easy.

As for dazzlingly white, would a slip, engobe or glaze be an option?

Edited by Hulk
the topic!

Yikes!   But to be totally honest, there are just bodies I like more.  Everyone is different which is great....imagine the problems if we all liked exactly the same things!  :)