Cress B-23-H to cone 018?

Hi all, I am buying my first kiln, a Cress B-23-H with a kiln sitter, this weekend. Won't have the wiring done for a while yet, but I'm curious if you can fire one of those old bad boys to cone 019-018? I am interested in some metallic overglazes, and I've never used them before. Any insight is helpful!

You can fire a kiln with a kiln sitter to any cone lower than it's rating.  Just have to buy the pyrometric bars of that cone number.

Curious as to why you're buying that model though, it's only rated to cone 6, which means it will only hit cone 6 with new elements, so it's really more of a low fire or bisquing kiln.

Edited by liambesaw

9 hours ago, liambesaw said:

You can fire a kiln with a kiln sitter to any cone lower than it's rating.  Just have to buy the pyrometric bars of that cone number.

Curious as to why you're buying that model though, it's only rated to cone 6, which means it will only hit cone 6 with new elements, so it's really more of a low fire or bisquing kiln.

The woman I’m buying from is firing it today to test. I will ask her if she is glaze firing.

I only fire to cone 6 anyway. But that does concern me about the new elements. I plan to fire using Amaco Potter’s Choice and celadons, which I know are 5/6.

She is liquidating her studio and selling me all her commercial glazes (pints), kiln furniture, kiln, like-new Shimpo RK whisper, tools, ware boards and bats for $1,400.

She has a modest little studio, but the deal seems considerable.

My husband is an electrician/technician for the FAA and works on landing equipment. He could replace the elements pretty easily. How much am I looking at for all new elements in the kiln?

1 hour ago, Tumbleweed Pottery said:

The woman I’m buying from is firing it today to test. I will ask her if she is glaze firing.

I only fire to cone 6 anyway. But that does concern me about the new elements. I plan to fire using Amaco Potter’s Choice and celadons, which I know are 5/6.

She is liquidating her studio and selling me all her commercial glazes (pints), kiln furniture, kiln, like-new Shimpo RK whisper, tools, ware boards and bats for $1,400.

She has a modest little studio, but the deal seems considerable.

My husband is an electrician/technician for the FAA and works on landing equipment. He could replace the elements pretty easily. How much am I looking at for all new elements in the kiln?

Elements are usually 40-50 bucks a piece, so it depends on how many are in there

Judging by everything else you'll be getting as part of the deal, and the fact that you plan on firing regularly to ^6, You'd be better off selling the kiln as a low-fire unit and buying a higher rated kiln. I did just that...selling my B-23-H as a low-fire/bisque kiln and getting a used ^10 kiln for my ^6 firings...

• 1 year later...
4 minutes ago, CeeJay said:

I just acquired a Cress B23H kiln and don’t have a manual for it. And am not finding any online either.  Do you have any suggestions on how I can find info like that?

Cress kilns is still a company, so you can contact them for a manual.

But most kilns are pretty much the same thing or a variation of the same.  You can look up videos on YouTube about operating a manual, kiln sitter or digital controller depending on which your kiln has, and the directions will usually translate to that kiln.

Good luck and welcome!

On 1/14/2021 at 11:07 PM, liambesaw said:

Cress kilns is still a company, so you can contact them for a manual.

But most kilns are pretty much the same thing or a variation of the same.  You can look up videos on YouTube about operating a manual, kiln sitter or digital controller depending on which your kiln has, and the directions will usually translate to that kiln.

Good luck and welcome!

When I called them they said they no longer support that model. So far I have not found a manual for it anywhere. I’m still searching for directions. It has the dial on the bottom and a dial on the top, I don’t know when to turn these dials.

3901BCDA-F5B0-4361-BFCF-8FD362EFC50F.jpeg

The dial on the bottom appears to be the sitter timer which is set at the beginning of the firing a bit longer than the firing should take as a redundant way to turn off the kiln in the event the sitter doesn’t. It is usually marked in hours and will count down to zero where it turns everything off. The sitter directly above is the device that turns the kiln off when the desired cone is reached and the single knob on top turns your kiln power from low through high.

Cress has a general manual on their site for these early models https://3fs7rd1xi6sy2zofjv3g0a0q-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/BASIC-KILN-MANUAL-FOR-ABC-KILNS-1.pdf

This kiln also appears to have an extension ring on top, so it may be rated only to cone 6 which generally means it is most suitable for lowfire glaze and bisque work ....... cone 04.

Google firing a manual kiln, basically you will need to learn how to set the timer, arm the sitter and then manually turn up the power on some schedule. If you understand the why, and how long of bisque and glaze firings and know these going in it will remove much of the mystery about how fast should I turn up the power. google bisque and glaze firing speeds probably gets a lot of good written material on the subject.

The basic information is in the manual above along with a suggested firing schedule.

Edited by Bill Kielb

I just checked the operating manual that I have and it is the same one @Bill Kielb notes in his response...go with that. I used those basic instructions with my B23H for a year with good outcomes for low fire work until I installed and Orton digital controller. I ultimately sold that kiln to someone who just wanted to do low-fire work and bought a used FX23 to do cone 6 work and just plugged the newer kiln into the Orton controller.

@Tumbleweed Pottery @CeeJay I spoke with Jay at Euclids this week and he said they can probably make new elements that will increase the max temp rating of these old  kilns to cone 10. It may require other changes to the system, such as switches and service wiring, but it would make the kilns much more functional for cone 6 work.

7 hours ago, neilestrick said:

It may require other changes to the system, such as switches and service wiring, but it would make the kilns much more functional for cone 6 work.

This is always an idea I struggle with but should absolutely work and work fairly easily. New wires, maybe switches, service cord  etc... attention to detail so everything is to or above rating electrically for sure and the most important part I strongly suggest, relabeling the kiln very permanently with the new wattage and amperage in the event you ever sell this kiln or even give it away.

Edited by Bill Kielb

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/6/2022 at 12:23 PM, DTPotter said:

I have an original manual that came with the original purchase of the B-23-H model.

I can scan the pages into one large pdf and then email to whenever might want it?

Hello, if you have the scanned version of the manual please could you send it to me. I’ve just received a B-23-H used as a gift and need to figure it out.

thank you