HELP! Pacifica gt400 wheel

I bought a used Pacifica gt 400 wheel for next to nothing today and it doesn’t work (I knew this when buying it) so I am looking for some advice.  Power is on but the wheel doesn’t spin, belts are tight. The motor sounds like it wants to run but it seems to weak to turn. I am open to any ideas! (:  I want to get it up and running so I can finally get started on my pottery! 

Can you loosen the belt tension (and possibly take the belt partially off) so that the motor can run free? What happens now? Does the motor spin up (and change speed with the pedal)? If the motor spins up with no tension on it, then the problem is later in the drive train. If the motor hums but doesn't spin up (even with a little twist to get it started), then it's a motor problem. If the motor doesn't even hum a bit, its a controller problem.

Laguna would be a good place to start. They'll know all about  that type of motor and what it will need. Could be it needs brushes, assuming it's the type of motor where you can replace them. Even if you end up needing a new motor, it sounds like it would be worth it since you got it cheap.

Thank you everyone! I am currently at work and have little service, but I hope to make it back in time to call Laguna tonight. Hopefully I can get it figured out, so I can order my parts. I will post an update tonight. I greatly appreciate everyone’s input/suggestions! (: 

17 hours ago, Dick White said:

Can you loosen the belt tension (and possibly take the belt partially off) so that the motor can run free? What happens now? Does the motor spin up (and change speed with the pedal)? If the motor spins up with no tension on it, then the problem is later in the drive train. If the motor hums but doesn't spin up (even with a little twist to get it started), then it's a motor problem. If the motor doesn't even hum a bit, its a controller problem.

Thank you for taking time to respond! I was finally able to take my wheel apart like you suggested. There is absolutely no noise coming from my motor. When I turn the wheel there is resistance one way but not the other. I also noticed that my motor has rust on it, so I am wondering if it sat damp for a while. The man that I bought it from said that it had sat for years in his garage.

It is common that DC motors are harder to spin one way vs. the other, the Shimpo Whispers are the only ones I'm familiar with that are totally free spinning when not on. It sounds like you'll need to do some electrical diagnosis to determine if there is a controller fault or cable fault and there is no power reaching the motor, or if there is power reaching the motor, then the motor is faulty.

35 minutes ago, Dick White said:

It is common that DC motors are harder to spin one way vs. the other, the Shimpo Whispers are the only ones I'm familiar with that are totally free spinning when not on. It sounds like you'll need to do some electrical diagnosis to determine if there is a controller fault or cable fault and there is no power reaching the motor, or if there is power reaching the motor, then the motor is faulty.

I guess I will have to look into it more. I have a friend who is good with electrical. I will keep you posted! Thank you! 

Usually there's a hum if the motor is getting power but not spinning. It can be difficult to hear sometimes. You may be able to feel a slight vibration of the motor, too. If it is all clogged up, blow it out with compressed air, and sometimes you can start it spinning manually with the power engaged (use a pencil or something to turn it, not your fingers!), and hose it down with WD-40 to get it going. Sometimes it just takes getting it moving so it can loosen up.

I can’t hear anything or feel anything, but I’ll check it again tonight when I’m home from work @neilestrick. (I wouldn’t use WD-40 on a brushed motor, it leaves residue in your motor. It’s better to use an electrical parts cleaner.) My friend is going to check the electrical current on the control box and motor. I don’t mind replacing the motor or control box, but if I don’t need to replace both that would be great! Does anyone have any suggestions on places to buy replacement parts? I have found a few places, but was wondering if anyone had any better suggestions. 

DO not wait for a return call from them -keep trying during business hours

I'm assuming you are calling the Ohio number?

I''m not sure which facility makes and services the wheels-you could call Axner (Laguna Florida loctation) and ask them.

heres a guide to simpler fixes

http://www.lagunaclay.com/support/pdf/PTSG.pdf

I called the Ohio number, but they said that the California branch deals with repairs/support so I called them. I called the California branch about 5 times yesterday and left a message.  Maybe I’ll try the Florida branch today and have better luck. I will try both, hopefully I can get ahold of someone. @Mark C.

Lots of people service electric motors.  Why not find one that can test and probably repair the motor?    Laguna isn't the only one using electric motors.  When the bearings in my wheel, which is the same as yours went out, I just went to industry standard bearings.  Laguna may very well replaced them for free.  I got it done in one trip on one day.

I had my friend look at and take my wheel apart today. He tested the currents and found that it is either my control panel or my foot pedal. I am going to check around town to see if I can find someone who will work on it for a reasonable price. My friend seemed to think that it should be an easy fix, so I am hoping that is the case! 

Had my motor and circuit board checked out, and they found that my circuit board was the problem. He said it would be easier to just replace it, so I have ordered a new one and am waiting for it to come in now. Hope to get it working by the end of this week/beginning of next week! 

I've had that wheel for a long time now.  I don't have experience with a lot of other wheels, and I hope to look for an upgrade this year, but what I really like about the Pacifica is the foot control.  If I'm attaching hand built feet on a wheel thrown pot and need to rotate 1/3 of a turn, I can confidently do that with the foot control.  I'm hoping the Brent or Shimpo can claim as much.

Archived