Green Spots After Glaze Firing

Ceramic Human

Hi again!

Th' larger spot looks like an aggregation o' the smaller spots - looks like some o' the smaller spots are black, some green-ish; that true?

Any road, suggest that you post recipes for glaze and clay, fired how, and how (and how often) glaze is sieved.

This particular glaze is the eggshell from Coyote. We mix a 25lb bags at a time and then sieve using 100 mesh. Not sure on the recipe for the dry mix, but I've attached a photo of the suggested water amount and specific gravity of eggshell. We only sieve after the initial mix. How frequently SHOULD a glaze be sieved?

Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 12.11.09 PM.png

What tools do you use to mix the glaze? Is there a possibility that you might be using a tool that was used to mix the teal or green glazes that might have a miniscule amount of residue that sloughs off when you mix the eggshell. It sounds too simple , but when you're talking about .008% defects is it really something worth worrying about...unless you're like my wife who will spend 3 hours to find a one cent error in her checkbook balance?

5 minutes ago, JohnnyK said:

What tools do you use to mix the glaze? Is there a possibility that you might be using a tool that was used to mix the teal or green glazes that might have a miniscule amount of residue that sloughs off when you mix the eggshell. It sounds too simple , but when you're talking about .008% defects is it really something worth worrying about...unless you're like my wife who will spend 3 hours to find a one cent error in her checkbook balance?

I should have supplied more information. I didn't really give you guys a lot to go on. My bad. I'll look into the tools and possible contamination. A rate of 5/500 is 1% defect rate. I thought if it were a really simple fix then it would be worth reducing defect rates by 1%.  Heck, even if it's not a simple fix. You fix two or three problems like this, and reduce your defect rate by half or more. I figure that's worth the time.

1 hour ago, liambesaw said:

You've been having issues with clay contamination, might be related?

Yeah, I thought about that and it's definitely possible, but I thought I'd ask you guys just to see if it was easy to rule out. There are so many factors, but I'm grateful to have this forum as a resource to help me get acquainted with the process.  Sometimes it makes my head spin. I don't want to be an out of touch manager.  The more information the better. 

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

@AshleyP the OP hasn’t been back to the forum since March of last year, according to their profile. If you PM them, they should receive an email that someone has messaged them on the forum here. 

A lot of things do wind up being dependant on materials used and other situational things. If you give us your particulars, we can also help you trouble shoot.

It could be a contamination issue of either clay or glaze. It looks more like chrome than copper to me too. If you’re working in a communal studio, or if there are other people’s pots in the firing, maybe that’s a source?

The suggestion to break one apart at the site of the green speck to see if it’s bleeding through from the clay or not is a good place to start.

• 6 months later...

Interesting!
I'm seeing little brown to black bits from the tip of the thermocouple; if they are small enough, they incorporate into the glaze melt, else, there's a bump.
I've been gently tapping the probe, tip down, afore replacing it back, which seems to help some? The rain of little particles goes in the trash.

If the thermocouple is spalling, they’re affordable, and easy to replace. 

There is some chrome content in a type k thermocouple, so green bits in the glaze from one is plausible. I don’t think bits would travel through the kiln or anything, but flakes could fall down and land on pots directly underneath.

There’s lots of other possible points for clay or glaze contamination, but we’d have to know specifics of materials and working situation to help troubleshoot better.

Archived