Some free advice!

@oldlady It sounds like this is a smaller kiln; if there are trusses in the roof, above the garage space, you could use those as an anchor point from which to hang a winch. A couple 2x4's as diagonal braces to the dirt, from trusses you put any load on, will insure you dont damage the trusses. I wouldnt worry about 2-300# of weight; thats the amount of a large human, which if they were crawling around in the attic doing whatever....

The only thing Id be worried about with a lever of some kind is putting pressure in one focused area; if you lift from the base (the obvious location) those bricks are mortared together, and unless you use some plywood &/or metal to disperse pressure, you'd likely break the mortar and/or break a brick.

If you have enough room under the kiln, to insert 2-3 sheets of plywood and/or a 4x4 block to disperse the pressure, you could use a small car jack to lift the kiln, while 2-3 people keep the kiln balanced on the jack, while another slips concrete cookies under.

That, or go down to the local pub, find 4 stout men, buy them dinner and a few rounds of beers, and get it done grunt style!

love all the suggestions.   i am very old, 78,  and sorry, lee but there are no attractive men in the area who are not already attached to lovely women.   there are a few men who will work and when i can hire some they do a good job.   but it is very difficult to hire ANYONE who wants to do a small job.    sam, nothing overhead is substantial enough for anything to hang from it. 

sometimes i am lucky and the HVAC guy will do something small.  none of the neighbors understand the word "altruistic"  or "neighborly" though they insist this is a lovely "community".     right.............     offering beer and hot dogs would insult them.

what happened to the folks i organized to raise the roof on a fellow potter's house so he could make a room for his daughters?  and the group who helped clean up a house for a potter when illness  made it too much for her to manage?   

how do we get back to the 70s?

Old lady just a thought. Could be a silly one..ad one of those before...brace or jack..not sure of term. your kiln on all 4csides i.e. stack support under frame of kiln...you did say dirt floor. Dig out under one foot at a time and insert your concrete.

Do this to each foot....culd dig more and pour a bit of concrete...

What do the engineers think?

(Wait till concrete set before taking stavks out fron unfer supporting frame.)

Now do you have a friendly neighbourhood dog????

Archived