1 hour ago, Rae Reich said:

Are you referring to his personal life or his work? 

I'm not sure if you meant me or LeeU but though it may be hard to believe it's his work I think bothers me most. I find his work to be childish scribbles. I suspect Picasso's goal was to merely find a gimmick, I've seen his early work and it was adequate in a traditional artistic sense but nothing to crow about, which he probably guessed. His work will always remind me of a certain college drawing class, in which I was forced to nod sagely at images of his paintings while my equally obnoxious art teacher sang the praises of and drummed home how a person has to be a real ######## to be a real artist. Probably because she was a real ######## too. I think a difficult life and being unusual, an outsider, and too intelligent to fit comfortably into the industrial machinery of human society often go hand in hand with artistic talent. Van gogh, imo probably the best painter who ever lived was not a ########. Picasso intentionally played up his reputation of being a ######## with women for profit and because he didn't have the skill to do it with his art alone. 

For myself, I abhor both his life and his art.  Just another yukky ######## with just enough talent, connections and marketing skills to make it into the history books, as the patrons, critics, and groupies are drawn to the drug-like fumes of fame and obscene amounts of money, like moths to a flame.   Yappy's comments made me think about my Pinterest "Clay" boards.  While I was building them I noticed that every time I came across a ceramic piece "by" Pablo P. I would shut down and stop pinning. I just could not (& won't) include his clay art.  Wish Vincent van Gogh had gotten his head & hands into clay and glazes---can you imagine?!!

9 hours ago, LeeU said:

For myself, I abhor both his life and his art.  Just another yukky ######## with just enough talent, connections and marketing skills to make it into the history books, as the patrons, critics, and groupies are drawn to the drug-like fumes of fame and obscene amounts of money, like moths to a flame.   Yappy's comments made me think about my Pinterest "Clay" boards.  While I was building them I noticed that every time I came across a ceramic piece "by" Pablo P. I would shut down and stop pinning. I just could not (& won't) include his clay art.  Wish Vincent van Gogh had gotten his head & hands into clay and glazes---can you imagine?!!

Hmmmmm

well, just to finish up this diversion, I was surprised to find out about a 2017 show and subsequent book on Gauguin's ceramics! - Gauguin: Artist as Alchemist 

Will have to look that up about Gauguin.  Loved his colors and strong images.  Never did understand Picasso and all the hoopla.  Occasionally, we will have to restore one of his ceramic pieces....they are not particularly good.  They look like mass produced junk....but people want to have them restored.   Guess it is like if  ________(fill in a name of any current celebrity) painted a pot, it would raised up as high art.  It's like the story of the Emperor's New Clothes......

On 8/12/2018 at 12:55 PM, Rae Reich said:

16 hours ago, Rae Reich said:

Hmmmmm

well, just to finish up this diversion

Yes Gauguin is a bit of a conundrum when viewed with any sense of morality. Being both a visually pleasing artist and a . One of my favorite paintings of his is "La Belle Dame Sans Merci" -at least he had something going on in his head and was intelligent enough to work with Van gogh until the incident.  For the record I enjoy Odilon Redon's paintings. The last time I took a good stab at my oils I was trying to emulate both Van gogh and Redon, it was very satisfying. 

9 hours ago, yappystudent said:

Yes Gauguin is a bit of a conundrum when viewed with any sense of morality. Being both a visually pleasing artist and a . One of my favorite paintings of his is "La Belle Dame Sans Merci" -at least he had something going on in his head and was intelligent enough to work with Van gogh until the incident.  For the record I enjoy Odilon Redon's paintings. The last time I took a good stab at my oils I was trying to emulate both Van gogh and Redon, it was very satisfying. 

I like them both also. I once tried a Redon-like style in pastels.  This brings to mind a separate question for the forum...

Archived