Actually, Melinda, the "defect" looks pretty cool to me. I would record everything you did to get that look even though you weren't trying. Then I would try to find another glaze with the same color and start testing again...You did run some tests on this glaze, didn't you?

JohnnyK

Malinda is from Sri Lanka if memory serves? Which means laterite clay is being used. Typically laterite runs 32-40% alumina and 8-15% hematite= FeO3. It cannot be fired over 900C because the hematite content. Min- background info on the clay to help you figure out the glaze side. That said: I like the glaze effect myself, unique pattern.

T

If the defect is the small nearly bare spot about one third down from the top and just a bit to the right of the vertical center line, reapplication of some glaze and a refire probably should solve the problem.  Refiring has its own set of concerns such as glaze movement (excess running), body slump, color and texture changes, ... .

My guess is that the glaze was not adhering to  green ware at that spot.  Non-adherence could be dust, oily spot, finger mark, ... .

LT

Archived