Gare Kiln

Hi all,

Just picked up a used Gare kiln model 2327 and need some help with it.  The PO had no idea about it and I am not able to find any instructions online about it.  Anyone have any suggestions on how to use it?  It also came with a Kiln sitter model K-10.  I am trying to determine how to use it, set temperature / time etc.  Any help is appreciated.

It looks old... but I have never owned a kiln before so I have no idea.

Thank you!!IMG_4091.jpg.942600d6220f81134c33772f19c7d3aa.jpg

IMG_4089.jpg

IMG_4090.jpg

Needs to be on a 60 amp breaker at 45 amps

Looks like 3 elements =3 switches

The sitter looks like an older Dawson-You will need to get some cone bars for that.

The cord looks a bit crispy-may need a new cord-do you know if it works(element heat up?)

Mark,

Thanks for the quick response and the information you provided.  I have not been able to turn the unit on yet as I am waiting for the electrician to run power to it.   I will let him know to use a 60 amp breaker and also have him replace the power cord.  

I have a few more questions. 

1. Do you know what the top two switches and the bottom 4 switches each do? 
  2. Which 3 switches are the elements?
  3. Thanks for the advice on getting some cones.  Do you know a good place to get them and which cone number(s) will I need?   The kiln will be used for firing greenware from a slip mold and firing on some painted ceramics.  I apologize if my  terminology is not up to par yet. 

I was able to find a user manual for the sitter this morning so I will go through that and make sure it is adjusted properly.  So once the sitter  is properly adjusted, to use the kiln basically, it is my understanding that we will load up with needs to be fired, insert the correct number cone into the sitter,  turn on all the switches and when it reaches the correct temp / time the sitter will shut down the kiln.

Do you have a recommendation for a good supplier of kiln and sitter parts?  Just in case the kiln or sitter needs replacement parts.

There is one switch per element. Each element is either on or off, there's no low-med-hi. So start with the bottom switch and the lid propped about an inch. Every half hour to hour turn on the next switch, working your way up. Close the lid when you turn on the third switch. Keep the top peep hole open throughout the firing unless you have a downdraft vent attached. Try to load taller pieces at the bottom, and make sure everything is dry.

19 minutes ago, neilestrick said:

There is one switch per element. Each element is either on or off, there's no low-med-hi. So start with the bottom switch and the lid propped about an inch. Every half hour to hour turn on the next switch, working your way up. Close the lid when you turn on the third switch. Keep the top peep hole open throughout the firing unless you have a downdraft vent attached. Try to load taller pieces at the bottom, and make sure everything is dry.

Neil,   thanks for the process help.  I would have turned them all on at once!  Your methodology  is a good way to bring up the temperature slowly without having controls to do so.  

17 minutes ago, Arnold Howard said:

You can download our instruction manual. Much of the information will apply to your kiln since it covers the Kiln Sitter.

http://paragonweb.com/ManualInfo.cfm?CID=148

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA
ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com

Arnold,  Thanks for the link to the instruction manual.    These are a lot more detailed than the other instructions I have found.  The photos also help! 

Anyone have any suggestions which cones to get and where is the best place to get them?  I have two different situations, going from greenware to Bisque and the firing the paint.   Probably not going to use a lot of glass at this time as mostly it will be painting bisque (animals, trees etc) and firing it.  not doing dinnerware etc.

Thanks again everyone!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
13 minutes ago, Sandrag said:

I have a very similar gare kiln.  Do someone know if i can change the manual sitter for a digital controller in this kiln?

You can add a controller to any kiln :)

That said, if you're not comfortable with electronics, you might find it easier to hire a kiln tech to do it for you.

1 hour ago, Sandrag said:

I have a very similar gare kiln.  Do someone know if i can change the manual sitter for a digital controller in this kiln?

The simplest way to do it is to buy a wall mount digital controller that you plug the kiln into. Skutt, Orton and Evenheat all make them. You just have to make sure it can handle the amperage of your kiln. Swapping out the sitter is not a simple thing if you're not experienced with kiln wiring.

• 1 year later...

I just bought an old Gare Kiln with a Dawson sitter - had it professionally wired and am trying to become confident enough to turn it on. Noticed it needed cone supports and ordered them - your info on the switches was helpful - I’m a glass artist and want to slump bottles and do glass fusing. 

If your kiln doesn't have a stand I would put some concrete blocks on the cement floor and then some cement  board on top of the blocks.   Make sure it is cement board,  you can set up your kiln on the cement board.  Your kiln needs to be level and 18 inches from the nearest wall.    Denice

• 4 months later...

Hi folks,

I have a very old Gare Kiln 2318.  The person I bought it from had no idea if this kiln will fire to cone 10.  Does anyone know.  Since I had a larger kiln that fired to cone 10, I used the Gare for low fired objects...it did fire to cone 5 easily. Anyone know if it fires to cone 10?  Like the ones mentioned before this kiln has switches for each element. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

dana, look for a metal label on the kiln.   not on a sitter that might be attached to the kiln but on the kiln itself.  there will be electrical info and the highest temperature you can reach.  if you can post a photo of the label so it can be read, not sideways or upside down, lots of info can be given back to you.

2 hours ago, Dayna said:

Thank you....I will do take a photo of the metal table in the morning! 

If you look at the label (equipment tag) posted above it appears Gare mentions directly what the maximum firing cone and temperature is for that particular  model.  3 rd line from the bottom. You may find your label tells you the kiln max firing temp, as well, read all the way through it is easy to miss embedded text.

7 hours ago, Bill Kielb said:

If you look at the label (equipment tag) posted above it appears Gare mentions directly what the maximum firing cone and temperature is for that particular  model.  3 rd line from the bottom. You may find your label tells you the kiln max firing temp, as well, read all the way through it is easy to miss embedded text.

9 hours ago, Mark C. said:

Its a label (look for a metal label on the kiln) not a table

The metal plate may have all the info needed

Archived