PQotW: Week 41

Week 41

1. A kiln design that contains the walls and the arch in one curve is the________________ kiln.

1. Sprung arch

2. Bound arch

3. Catenary arch

4. Barrel arch

2. Domes and Crowns differ from sprung arches in that an arch describes a portion of a cylinder, while a dome or crown describes a portion of a _____________.

1. parabola

2. sphere

3. hyperbola

4. cone

3. One Principle of kiln design the author states is that the chimney is approximately one-fourth to one-fifth of the ____________________ diameter.

1. chamber

2. damper

3. door

4. total inlet

4. An _______________________ kiln is an example of a _________________ type kiln.

1. Down-draft

2. anagama

3. cross-draft

4. updraft

This weeks Pottery Quiz of the Week questions come from: The Kiln Book, second edition, Frederick L. Olsen, c. 1983, Chilton Book Company/Radnor, PA

Note from Pres: In the 80's as a new art teacher, new to ceramics, I considered building my own kiln. Alas, it did not happen, but I read a lot of books on kiln building, firing, and repairs. Some of which I have used over the years, some not. However, for anyone starting with kiln construction this book is a gem. There may be newer techniques out there today, but he does cover Fiber construction, alternative fuels, and multi chambered kilns.

Answer Key:

1. 3. Catenary arch-from the text.Pp. 35

2. 2. Sphere—from the text Pp.36

3. 1. chamber-from the text Pp61 Principle 6

4. 2. anagama, 3. cross-draft-Crossdraft kilns originated in the Orient. The exact location and time is impossible to determine, but it is probably safe to assume that China, Korea, and Japan simultaneously developed similar crossdraft kilns known as bank or hole kilns. The hole kilns were in use during the Asuka period in Japan, the Sui period in China, and the Silla period in Korea. In Japan they were called Anagama, ana meaning hole or cavity and gama meaning kiln.

I never hedge my bets by reading  (using) other people's answers but it makes me feel good when it looks like I am on the same page, even when just guessing.

So-- I am going with 3-2-1 and 2 & 3  Of course question #4 bothers me, because if 2 (anagama) is correct, then the sentence should begin with "An" , not "A".  :rolleyes:

• Pres pinned this topic