Kiln And Miscellaneous Help

kjharris

I responded to a local classified ad in which someone was willed a large amount of pottery items from an old store. Two kilns in great condition and hundreds of moulds as well, everything in excellent condition and a lot of the moulds are Duncan from the mid-1960s onwards. Im able to get one of the kilns in exchange for helping sell the items. The seller is not knowledgeable in pottery to the degree needed for all of these items, nor am I completely, I've done my best to impart my limited knowledge and have also referred her to our local pottery vendor in Albuquerque for assistance. She had it advertised for 1500$ and I told her to take it down as some of the molds themselves had labels for prices in the hundreds of dollars. Can anyone help me learn more about these kilns and what type of value should be placed on this lot? Thank you all for your advice and time.

Kevin

post-86637-0-30192200-1501448306_thumb.jpg

post-86637-0-30311400-1501448317_thumb.jpg

post-86637-0-91080000-1501448325_thumb.jpg

post-86637-0-09322300-1501448336_thumb.jpg

post-86637-0-75208300-1501448343_thumb.jpg

post-86637-0-51679400-1501448356_thumb.jpg

post-86637-0-39310600-1501448481_thumb.jpg

post-86637-0-28910300-1501448488_thumb.jpg

post-86637-0-66349900-1501448495_thumb.jpg

post-86637-0-58063000-1501448513_thumb.jpg

Are there any tables for pouring slip into the molds, or slip mixing equipment. If not and it is the molds , kiln furniture and kilns, $1500 may be about right. I noticed some broken kiln shelves. Old small jars of glaze or underglazes. The molds from that long ago could have some appeal to grad students in some places working with pop culture imagery. I think $500 for an old Duncan in good shape may 

you could split it up, go through the molds and organize them according to subject.If you get one of the 2 kilns, it may be less than $1500, maybe more like $1000.Molds may vary a lot depending on their condition and what they are molds for, If there are cones, they are worth more than the glazes. I think I saw some part of slip casting equipment and also par of a banding wheel. Those types of pieces of equipment can bring in more. 

Marcia

The kilns are 500$ each at best-the Duncan maybe is less- as they are both manual kilns (no controllers)the skutt kiln is worth a bit more I think than the Duncan. Since the kilns have shelves and posts that may have a few hundred extra-say 700$ The molds have very little value as do the glazes almost none. The cones are worth more. Any clay is also low fire and has no value.

I see this type of out of business shop a lot and maybe 1,500  for the whole mess to one buyer.

Nobody wants mold much these days-the kilns have the most value.

if you could get better photos with the specifics that are printed on the metal label it would help a great deal.  

mark is right, the molds are probably a liability rather than an asset unless you find a "Paint your own Pottey" type business nearby that might take them all.  

kilns are priced totally differently in different parts of the country, in my area, you could not get $500 for both of them together.

I have two Duncan 820s. I paid $300 for the first one with shelves and posts and the inside looked brand new.  The second one I paid $30 (yes 1/10th the price) the inside looked pretty good, the shelves that came with it were for a bigger kiln and it didn't have a stand, I never powered it up.

$200 for each kiln, assuming they're in acceptable condition. The glazes are probably worthless unless they're still wet and brushable. People don't want molds and more. Chances are, most everything but the kilns are garbage unless there is other equipment there.

I was hoping you would chime in sir, thank you for that. It looks like I'll be taking the Duncan here shortly so I may PM you with some questions if that's acceptable. I'll be taking it down to my pottery vendor here in town as well to have it looked and for their Kiln technician to give me good run down on it. The valuations I've gotten here seem to be pretty spot on, thanks again to everyone who commented.

Paragon has been supplying parts for the Duncan kilns, however they are discontinuing them, so that Duncan may be hard to sell since parts will be more difficult to get. That said, Euclids will probably be able to roll elements for them, and the switches are not specific to kilns. Bricks from another brand may have grooves that line up well enough to be useable.

Archived