Website Ads On Your Website

I got an email from a ceramic supplier this morning offering commission from them if a person puts their ads on your website.  5% commission.   If you had a lot of traffic on your site, that could add up nicely.  I think we all have gotten pretty used to the ads that pop up everywhere, including our email, but part of me thinks that would be distracting on your personal website.....just thought I would ask.  And no, I don't have a website yet.  Still busy making pots! ;)

Maybe this should be a QOTW?

Roberta

You have no website and a supplier wants to place an ad on it. Sounds Phishy to me. Best not to respond at all.

If you really, really want to have ads on your future site look into Google's AdSense.

I have 4 websites, two personal, two not.  I wouldn't put an ad on my personal sites, My personal opinion... I just think its tacky.

I have commercial ads placed on one of the two sites that are not personal. I charge a yearly rate for ad space and along with Google's AdSense it earns enough to pay for the site's upkeep (I'm not looking to make a profit, just pay my expenses.) 

While I'm sure Big Ceramic is an honest company, the logistics of you knowing if a particular customer came from your site and that you received your commission is not a not a simple task. I wonder if they have systems in place for this

Amazon has an associate's program that earns 4% commission and goes up depending on the amount of orders they get from you. Nice record keeping too. You see how many people clicked through, how many orders with the sale's dollar amount and a daily tab of your earned commission. Then each month they make a deposit into your account. It takes about 60 days from a sale to the time the commission is received. Google's AdSense reporting is similar but they wait until you earned $100 before they give you your commission.

Of course I guess one could forget about it and just be surprised when a deposit comes in.

If I was to consider a Big Ceramic ad on my personal website, I would first request a reciprocal link and monthly record keeping.

I think the idea will likely catch on and we won't think anything of it in a year ... our whole perception of how things are done has changed so drastically in the last ten years that we sometimes forget that some things used to offend us.

There were huge controversies over artists offering their own work for sale online. Galleries would drop artists who competed with them online, even if the pricing was fair.

Then galleries adapted and started selling artist work online themselves.

Now there are virtual galleries with no brick and mortar doing brisk business.

All you have to do is one Google search, or go into any online shopping site and their ads pop up everywhere else you go within seconds. You can ignore the ads ... so if the store has a good rep it's hard to see the harm of a link.

I'm going to get a little pretentious here, based on my background in publishing. I've laid out many publications that included ads. I think it's really important to be careful about it, to make sure the sponsor gets the value they paid for, without overshadowing the actual content of the publication. This is hard enough on a printed page. On a website, it's much harder because the designer has much less control over how things appear to the end user. It really irritates me when I see any layout, web or print, where this balance has not been handled well. 

I have no plans to put ads on my own website. When I visit other potters' websites, I don't mind when I see ads for ceramics-related products and services. Where the ad makes good sense based on the content of the website. And it looks like both the advertiser and the website made a careful choice. The advertiser is targeting the right viewers, and the website is bringing value to their viewers. And the ad was produced to the websites specifications, and placed in a designated spot, away from the actual content. Such as a sidebar, or a top banner. 

I hate it when I see a website, for supposedly a small artisan business, with Google ads placed willy-nilly on the page. Like when a string of ads is placed right in the middle of a blog post. For products that are not ceramics-related. Most likely they are for a website that I visited the day before (which really creeps me out that Google can do that). I feel like the website owner is making a cheesy money grab, while applying no thought or effort. 

If I got this offer from Big Ceramics Store, I probably wouldn't do it. But I wouldn't mind if I saw it on other potters' sites. 

Most likely they are for a website that I visited the day before (which really creeps me out that Google can do that). 

That happens when you are still logged in with a google account (gmail).

Log out of google then clear google's cookies and you should be fine.

I use a free app in my browser that deletes the cookies when I close the tab, its called NoScript.

Archived