Qotw: Is It "hands Off!" In Your Studio?

Well, so far by rating the responses: it appears as though:

1. Do Not Touch... because of safety reasons .......... a good thing.

2. Do Not Touch...green ware ......we all understand that concern.

3. Do Not touch.. my tools.... tools seem to be the extension of us.

I wonder why there is such a close bond between the potter and their tools?

Nerd

You would think with being a perfectionist with some obsessive compulsive disorder, that the thought of my stuff being marred would affect me. But when students in the past rubbed off the glaze of a freshly dipped cup...it was they who freaked out about the "damage" and it was me who had to show them I was willing to scrape the other side to balance it out, so they'd calm down!!! I tell them, that at one time it mattered but currently I really don't care. I tell them once its fired, there's a 50/50 chance that the flaw will improve the look.

Speaking of hands off!!! When I started off in archaeology field school, one of my instructors was telling us the day he almost got divorced. It seems he came home with a good deal of pottery sherds. Sherds he'd have to soak, clean, and pat dry. While standing in the kitchen thinking about the task at hand, he noticed the dish washer...it was empty and the wife wasn't home! So he loaded it up with freshly dug Woodland era sherds. The plan was have the jets of water gently clean off the dirt, which would exit and go away...! But the screen clogged up and most of the sand, dirt, and root fibers filled up the bottom of the dish washer. And then the wife came home! He said that was the moment he found out that the dish washer HE had bought actually belonged to his wife! :)

3. Do Not touch.. my tools.... tools seem to be the extension of us.

I wonder why there is such a close bond between the potter and their tools?

I think that for me, I use certain tools for very special functions. I had one loop tool that was THE tool I used on 80% of my pots to carve designs. After I wore through the loop with all my gritty clay, I bought several more; then realized at that rate I was going to be purchasing one every two weeks. I then went to considerable effort to find a replacement tool that was more durable. I found one and bought three. If someone misplaces or breaks that one wire loop tool, all work comes to a halt until I can replace it. I think that's why I feel so protective of that tool in particular. 

I don't like people moving my stuff around and putting it in different places, or damaging my tools. For example, my mom once used a plastic fondant tool to sculpt and smooth a rock hard dry sculpture and totally ruined it. What really bugged me was, she had a whole cup of tools including METAL CHISELS that would have worked perfectly!!!!

I also get really frustrated when I am already sitting down to throw and I find that the little caddy of tools that I keep within reach and stocked with throwing sticks, ribs, sponges, and wires has been robbed. I then have to get up and go on the hunt with clay up to my elbows. If I did it, well then I can't really be mad. If someone else did .... > :(

I appreciate all who have responded. I just recently purchased  a wheel and some tools: to my surprise I have invited many people to come over and give it a spin. However, DO NOT TOUCH my drills, saws, hammers, and other carpentry tools. I was actually expecting tools to be on the top of the list: I know the personal connection. Pottery is personal in the making, but the final product is open to any and all.

Nerd

Nerd - give it time your wheel doesn't really feel like yours yet, it's too new so it's fun to let others have at it. Over time you will find certain settings you like and if someone changes those you will find it annoying. The tools will become just like your drills, hammers, etc. Those tools have been with you awhile so they feel like YOURS, the pottery tools will do the same and become yours, an extension of your creativity.

So basically let em play now cuz later you are going to get possessive about them.

T

Pug:

For many years I hesitated about buying a wheel: always struck me as a rather boring pursuit. I would watch others, and all I could see was a wheel going round and round. The one thing that I did not expect was the absolute escape from reality: meaning I forget about everything else when I am throwing. Would have never imagined a pottery wheel would be such a de-stresser. Doing okay centering and learning to pull: it will be awhile before it feels natural. I can make a medium sized bowl in ten minutes: 9.30 minutes to center, and 30 seconds to pull the walls...  :P 

nerd

Doing okay centering and learning to pull: it will be awhile before it feels natural. I can make a medium sized bowl in ten minutes: 9.30 minutes to center, and 30 seconds to pull the walls...  :P 

nerd

It SHOULD take you most of your time to centre, and do all the setup. You're on the right track! Although the 9 minutes part will get to be less, it'll still take longer than the pulls. Keep at it. It'll feel more natural in a month or so.

Wow, thank you all for answering Nerd's question so honestly. And some answers are hilarious. Anybody may gladly touch MY spiders Tom, and throw them out. Mine are huuuuuge :o. Ha! I am tempted to post, as the next QOTW, a spider photo contest: who has the biggest spider in the studio?  :lol: 

So, off to the next QOTW... (don't worry, no spider hunt...)

Evelyne:

I think the forum has caught on to my line of questioning. We say we do not have a favorite form, but we do. We say we do not have a favorite glaze or color: but we do. As large as the world is these days, privacy is becoming rare: our space is invaded daily by the internet, cell phones, mass mailings. So it is no small wonder that our studio/work space becomes a private sanctuary. A place of refuge, a place where we can be ourselves, and a place where the demands of living end.

Nerd

5. Don't touch, ME. You would not believe the people who bump me to get past. I am tiny, and there is plenty of space around me at all times to move throughout the very large studio. Don't touch my hair. Don't touch my arm. I am extremely easily startled and I do jump and flinch if touched, which often times results in a messed up design, pot, or even broken pottery.

There are several repeat offenders in the studio. I tend to go in everyday after work, and I have the same set of students that despite being reminded, still break these rules. The sitting in the chair honestly gets me the worst, I can forgive a broken pot, I can forgive stealing a cookie, but do not prevent me from working. :P

Good thing I don't work in a community studio! LOL I would definitely not sit behind a wheel that was clearly in use. Some people are oblivious.

But oh my word, I'm such a toucher. I touch everybody. If I'm going behind someone and I think I might bump into them I say, "I'm behind you!" and touch their back or arm lightly. I used to work in a restaurant and I've had people back into me with a tray of food or bar drinks as they turned away from the counter so it's now thoroughly ingrained to vocally and physically announce my presence. I'm also very bad about if someone is wearing pretty earrings, I will compliment them and brush them gently with one finger. I don't grab the person's face or anything but I touch before I think. Apparently I'm four years old. ;)

But once I get to know people I can usually tell if they don't like the touching and I won't hug them on greeting or goodbye. (Notice, Sydney, that I did not hug you on this visit. That was specifically because I thought you did not prefer it. I'm very pleased with myself that I was right!) Even some of my very close friends do not like to be hugged and once I figure it out or they finally tell me, I don't do it any more.

Oh my gosh I would so run away from you! My personal space bubble is at least 3 feet in any direction at all times!

Oh my gosh I would so run away from you! My personal space bubble is at least 3 feet in any direction at all times!

If we met, and I liked you, I would probably say goodbye with a hug. BUT. I am very very good at reading people's reaction to physical contact. If it isn't enthusiastically returned, the first hug will be the last. So hopefully you would forgive just one mistake. LOL I tend to be pretty bouncy and enthusiastic so if you can't handle one hug you probably won't be able to stand me either. :D 

Archived