Why Is The Plug On This Expansion Ring Different Than The Outlet On The Kiln

g-bus

Hello,

Another old kiln question. I've got an old Paragon A88-B that I'm getting ready to sell. It has an expansion ring and looks like someone had replaced the plug on the power cord for it with like a 14-20 or something similar (3 flat blades, one round) but the receiving outlet on the kiln is something like a 10-20 (3 flat blades). I've never fired it with the expansion ring installed because of this, but wanted to have a better idea of why it was set up this way before I sell it. I'm guessing that for whatever reason a previous owner was maybe just plugging the expansion ring directly into a matching wall outlet. Maybe the outlet on the kiln for it doesn't work (I probably should've tested that now that I think of it). Any thoughts? I just want to be able to give potential buyers as much info as possible in case they ask. Thanks a lot!

Use a voltmeter to test the receptacle that it is supposed to plug into. Do you get voltage when kiln is turned on ( don't forget to engage kiln sitter when testing)? Test the same plug, are you getting an ohm measurement indicating the element in the expansion ring is intact? If, yes to both, either swap out the plug in the receptacle and it should work just fine.

i started out with that kiln.  it did not have anything you could say was an "expansion ring".  the entire kiln was housed in a metal cover that went from the lid to the bottom in one piece.  maybe you have two different things, a kiln, the 88B and a thing that came from somewhere else not related at all to the kiln.

pictures would be a big help to the kiln experts here.

NEMA (National Electrical Manufacturers Association) have trade regulated receptacles and cords. When you buy a kiln you will see the NEMA rated power supply, power cord, and recommended receptacle. Someone has taken a range cord and used it for a replacement on this kiln- no big deal. As long as the cord is rated for the amperage pull: no harm done. The three prong you are describing is a 6/3 with ground range cord = 60amp max.

Nerd

Expansion rings plug into a receptacle on the kiln control box, not the wall. If it plugged into the wall, the ring would have to have its own sitter and controls, which wouldn't work. Nor could you plug the kiln and ring into one wall receptacle without overloading it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the input. I finally got around to switching the receptacle back so I could test the outlet on the kiln and it does have power. Just haven't found a matching plug for it yet so will have to hit up some of the local specialty electrical supply places when I have time. But I have included some pics for your enjoyment. Thanks again.

post-64103-0-04445300-1463720324_thumb.jpg

post-64103-0-32229900-1463720333_thumb.jpg

post-64103-0-15011000-1463720343_thumb.jpg

post-64103-0-04445300-1463720324_thumb.jpg

post-64103-0-32229900-1463720333_thumb.jpg

post-64103-0-15011000-1463720343_thumb.jpg

If that 4 prong plug is for an expansion ring, but the kiln has a 3 prong outlet for the expansion ring to plug into, then that expansion ring my not be for that kiln at all. You'll have to see how everything is wired up to see if they'll work or not. With 3 prongs you'll have two hots and a ground. With 4 prongs you'll have two hots, a ground and a neutral. Different setups, and you can't cheat and try to use them together.

If that 4 prong plug is for an expansion ring, but the kiln has a 3 prong outlet for the expansion ring to plug into, then that expansion ring my not be for that kiln at all. You'll have to see how everything is wired up to see if they'll work or not. With 3 prongs you'll have two hots and a ground. With 4 prongs you'll have two hots, a ground and a neutral. Different setups, and you can't cheat and try to use them together.

YA that's for sure

My guess is this is two different kiln pieces not a plug problem

the plug in your hand in the photo is from a larger kiln, a model A 99.  i think.  i have an old 99 which i blew up a few, maybe 8, years ago and it has that kind of plug.  if it is, the number is nema14-60.

this whole thing is very odd.  the model 88 is not the same diameter as a 99 so what you are calling an expansion ring,  (i call it a section), cannot possibly fit on an 88.  it is much larger. :huh:

Yeah, the 3/4 plug/receptacle combo had me scratching my head too, thinking maybe somebody did some......creative wiring. But upon closer inspection I saw that the ring, or section, is for an AA-8 B, which apparently does have a different plug configuration than the A-88. Same size, different plugs. And glad Paragon doesn't make their model numbers confusing or or anything (A-88B, AA-8B). Thanks for all the input.

Archived