Advice On Totems Please

Good morning,

I've been trying to figure out how to make the round pieces used in totems. The piece pictured is from Pinterest and the blog is in French. Which I don't speak. :( I think the pieces are thrown, but I'm wondering how.

I can't get the picture to load, so here's the link to the picture:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-yVwQ_l0l8aU/VM8YIeSciJI/AAAAAAABVNw/fzRFSNx8N8g/s1600/e786a8c97eea15970ef7ba2405d1b01d.jpg

Thanks for any help.

My second project in my Ceramics I class was a ball made from 2 pinch pot halves stuck together. One gal in the class made a totem with about a dozen balls of sizes varying from 1 1/2" to 6" in diameter, all pinch pot assemblies. She was also taking a welding class, so she made her stand/support from rebar.

Just saying...

i make a lot of spheres with the two pinch pots put together method. then with the air trapped inside i gently push in ripples, ridges and other things. its one of my favorite methods.  i make sea urchins and all sorts of stuff.  I would also guess these are hand built.   I do the same thing with some egg shaped plaster molds I made.   have fun.  rakuku

i make a lot of spheres with the two pinch pots put together method. then with the air trapped inside i gently push in ripples, ridges and other things. its one of my favorite methods.  i make sea urchins and all sorts of stuff.  I would also guess these are hand built.   I do the same thing with some egg shaped plaster molds I made.   have fun.  rakuku

So after you texture them, you put the holes for the totem pole in?

nancy, in case you have not seen them "live", totems usually are mounted on rebar.  some in the ground if they are to stand outside and some attached to a base for indoor use.  so the holes that allow them to be threaded onto the rebar pole can be fairly small allowing for shrinkage.  have seen some made with spacers so each segment sort of stands on its own visually.

Archived