Test Sieve

Thought I would do a quick post of the test size sieves I make.  I got tired of paying 23- for the Talisman ones from my local supplier so I had a rummage through Home Depot for plumbing bits and bought some stainless screen for 2- a running inch (by 12†wide) from the ceramics supplier.

Plumbing PVC reducer, piece of irrigation pipe, 3†of mesh.  On the inside of the reducer there is a flange, I cut the mesh to fit that, cut off a length of the irrigation pipe then tap the pipe into the reducer and it’s done.

With the first one I made I glued the mesh in with cement so I didn’t have leakage between the 2 pieces of plastic, I was concerned about a darker glaze contaminating lighter glaze if I didn’t get it all washed out. Worked okay but I couldn’t separate the two pieces when I needed to replace the mesh. Now I tap the piece of pipe in, no cement, the 2 pieces fit really tightly together. I cut the pipe long enough to have about 1/2†sticking out at the bottom so I can wiggle it out with a pair of pliers when I need to replace the screen or really wash it out. 1 for light glazes, 1 for dark. 

post-747-0-68628800-1459393086_thumb.jpg

post-747-0-11403700-1459393104_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys!

I run all my glazes that I'm going to spray through this size sieve rather than the big ones on the day I'm using them, usually about a litre. I use the smaller sieves more for this than testing. (this size is about double what the Talisman ones are) I like the stick blenders too but find some stuff like wollastonite doesn't always get blended in all the way.

On the 5-gallon side, this sieve works much better than the annoying crank handle with three pads. With the cutout lid to hold the sieve-holder, the full bucket of can be rested on the top edge to make pouring easier. The entire setup is very very easy to clean.

Glaze sieve

So simple a dog could do it!

Archived