Outsider Art

I think of true outsider art as art coming from artists who learn in their own bubble-no co-ops or internet- or schools.They produce 3 D and 2 D work that has no traditional taught focuses on anything.Weather its a wielded sculpture or a painting on a piece of cardboard . I personally have never seen one who works with clay.

It is an interesting article, @DirtRoads. I particularly like the references to the backstories of some of the outsider artists:

... the background of the artists is embedded in the artwork itself— there’s no need, therefore, for backstory.

For so many of us in clay, there are multiple backstories. I've seen multiple references to doctors, chiropractors, etc. dealing with backs, right here on the forum *grin*.

Yes. I think most of us are outsiders, at least to the art world.

Peace,

-Paul

On a bigger picture we as clay artists are not considered real artists in the art world-meaning painters sculptures and what some refer to the fine arts. Fine arts and fine art galleries usually steer clear of clay work. So in that regard we all are outsiders

We are outsiders. We are the jack of all jacks in the art world. They can't stand us undisciplined potters(ceramists). Painting on pottery, making sculptures, functional wares, musical instruments. Many of us are good at carpentry, word working, welding, electrical, photography, design, repurposing, and are economical and environmentally conscious. We absolutely love what we do. We go to sleep thinking about the next pot, glaze, kiln opening etc. etc. and wake up dreaming about you guessed it clay. It least I do. For the time and skill put into our work most are rewarded with a pittance. I guess it is the starving artist way.

I personally don't care much for paintings, drawings, or graphic art stuff. You know most of the stuff you see at all the cool hipster art scenes and art walks these days. I do like photographs. There just is not a large presences of ceramics in Arizona.

I did however come across a guy with a solar/ bicycle pedaled powered sewing machine who makes patches on the spot. You give him like three words and he sews you a patch for you on the spot. I could watch for hours. Guy was self taught and very humorous.

Makes me want to build a mobile pottery kickwheel on a bike and do pottery demos and sell pots. I love an audience.

Makes me want to build a mobile pottery kickwheel on a bike and do pottery demos and sell pots. I love an audience.

Get a bucket. Put a jug of water, a few of your favorite working tools, a towel, and half a bag of clay in it. Go somewhere public and start making a coil sculpture. When you are done use the towel to wrap the piece back into the bucket and carry it away.

"Are self taught potters also classified as "Outsiders"?"

Yes, if you are deemed interesting by a gallery and have a marketable story.

I would like to ask, who makes money, the gallery owner making the sales pitch or the interesting artist toiling in obscurity ?

Archived