Nice Christmas Gift

Well I had a first yesterday.

I had a message on my phone from a customer from a out of state show I did a few weeks ago. She said her husband just got their visa bill and there was a big mixup.

She went on to leave her phone # and here husbands # as well . So I called them both and left messages thinking I must have overcharged them big time?

She called right back and said that the visa bill was charged 7.31 cents instead of $731.00.

well it turns out I forgot to add a few zeros and it feels like finding money now.

She ordered some mugs as well for when I go back there in the spring.

Seems I have another dedicated customer and I need to tighten up on my smart phone skills with the visa app.

This puts my best show ever over another milestone in terms of dollars

On another note about great customers-same show

I had my last sale of the day at that very same 3 day show in the last few moments in the dark before everything was boxed I had a young woman buy a mug and the phone app froze up during the card processing-I took down most of the card info but forgot the billing zip code which I needed to complete the sale-in the pack up frenzy (yes I move at wrap speed during pack up) I did not get here phone number. So after a 1200 mile drive I chalked that sale up to a loss and shredded her info. Yesterday she e-mailed me and is sending a check as she noticed I never charged her card

So folks their are great customers out there still.

I have a similar story from last year. At my open studio last year, during a very busy hour, I undercharged a customer who was buying about 10 pots. Her purchase included 4 small kimchi dishes, and I only charged her for one. She noticed my math error when she got home, and mailed me a check for the difference. I would never have known.

Pottery fans are the best :-)

great story mark.  and isn't it great to get a check you did not expect, mea?

i got an email the other day that sure looked like spam.  from someone with two first names and saying he thought he had something of mine. i put it into spam but then, for some reason, i opened it.

a man found a pot of mine at an estate sale in georgia and wanted to know more about it.  i thanked him but said it did not sound like my work and there is another potter with my last name.  the next day he sent a picture and sure enough, it was one i made way back in the 70s.  very poor bottom but the design was a good one.  he told me he was very happy with the vase and it was displayed on his writing table.  i thanked him again and told him its story and details about how and why i made it.  

what i wonder is, who bought it way back then and took it to georgia from virginia and kept it in good shape all this time?

making pots sure is rewarding in lots of ways.

I have found that people are pretty honest. At my last studio sale[in my own studio[. I young woman was really admiring a mug. She set it down. Did not have the $20.00 price tag. Isaid;"Take it and catch me later".

I had forgotten that I took our mail box off the front of the house. We also have no front steps. It was a bit of an effort for her to get a check to me, but she did knock on the back door and leave an envelope with money.

Another woman at the sale forgot her cheque book. She owed $110.00 . She paid me next week at work.

I have only had one bad experience. This was at a garage sale where a woman insisted that she had given me $20.00 when I knew she had only given me $10.00. I should have left the $10.00 bill out while I was wrapping up her item. I know they do this at cash registers in stores.

I looked at her face and knew that she was scamming me. I could tell by her eyes.

I am willing to take the chance with most people. I try to look on the good side. These people remember that you trusted them, and they come back.

TJR.

Archived