Collaborative Work

Old lady and I collaborated on a small dish and thought it would be interesting to post it on the forum. She made the dish and the relief design, bisqued it before sending it to me. I painted the design adding color and texture to the piece, then glazed with a clear glaze and fired it. It was fun working with her on this. She started the vision and I completed it, kind of a neat way of trying something new for both of us.

Have any of you ever collaborated on a piece with another potter? If so did you learn something new? Did you enjoy the experience and would you do it again?

Terry

post-22921-0-62945300-1409694416_thumb.jpg

post-22921-0-62945300-1409694416_thumb.jpg

post-2190-0-97516500-1409702645_thumb.jpgpost-2190-0-25884800-1409702499_thumb.jpgpost-2190-0-04506700-1409702530_thumb.jpg

I've been working with Hsi-Mei Yates, a Chinese brush artist (and also my painting teacher). I make the pottery, she decorates, and I fire. These are mostly pieces we sell through galleries where she also has her other paintings. Having painted with her, I had a sense of how she painted and made pottery forms that would allow her to use the same expressions and techniques on clay as she does on paper. These are pieces she featured in her show at the Liberty Town Arts Workshop in Fredericksburg, VA.

post-2190-0-25884800-1409702499_thumb.jpg

post-2190-0-04506700-1409702530_thumb.jpg

post-2190-0-97516500-1409702645_thumb.jpg

attachicon.gifHB047_a.jpgattachicon.gifHB028_a.jpgattachicon.gifHB032.jpg

I've been working with Hsi-Mei Yates, a Chinese brush artist (and also my painting teacher). I make the pottery, she decorates, and I fire. These are mostly pieces we sell through galleries where she also has her other paintings. Having painted with her, I had a sense of how she painted and made pottery forms that would allow her to use the same expressions and techniques on clay as she does on paper. These are pieces she featured in her show at the Liberty Town Arts Workshop in Fredericksburg, VA.

Such complimentary stuff, must feel great.

Such complimentary stuff, must feel great.

Actually, a bit daunting. Taking the wares after she puts her artwork on them . . . all I can think of is, "How many ways can I screw up a clear glaze firing?" And just when you think you've thought of all the ways . . . (fill in the blank). Her work is so lovely, you just don't want to screw it up.

attachicon.gifHB047_a.jpgattachicon.gifHB028_a.jpgattachicon.gifHB032.jpg

Truly wonderful!  I'm not that far from you - does she teach formally, or have you informally connected with her and she teaches you?  I would love an opportunity to learn some brush techniques.  And you've given me another reason to finally go check out Liberty Town.

just a word about the thing i send pugaboo, it was a test of size and a new impression.  i usually just spray a single glaze on these kinds of things.  if they are much larger i add a single color to the dragonfly.  i asked terry how she would handle this kind of item and you see her results.  you can see that i missed impressing the circle in the center.  

any pot by bciske  is beautiful.  cannot wait for the bluemont fair on the 20th to see what he is doing now.

terry has just posted to the gallery a number of boxes she decorated.  i love the ballerina pug!  go terry!

Isculpt - thank you I have even more just haven't had a chance to get them photographed.

I really enjoyed working with oldlady she has such a wealth of knowledge and is always so wonderfully willing to share it with me. She has finally gotten me to attempt to mix some of my own glazes which I am doing slowly but determinedly. I WILL get the perfect shade of translucent green I need... I WILL.

Terry

Archived