• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • LocationNorth Florida

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:11 AM

Nice good data!
I like the whiteness

John b gave the formula of 33% clay 33% spar 33% ash

I ended up using lizella, replaced part of spar with neph Sy, and used ash from a BBQ joint mostly oak.

It worked ok, but no exciting ash effects. Too well behaved, I'll post pics tomorrow

I like 3 and 4. Ii wonder what would look like with thicker application

It look like 1 shivered, but it looks like you got glaze to melt.

I really like the whiteness, we may have to trade some ash
Caution big brother is watching.
The beige is blinding!!!!!!
The middle of the road is boring

The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.
-Albert Einstein

#22 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 2,983 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:16 AM

That 1/3 1/3 1/3 combo is for cone 9-10.  Won't fly at 6.

Cone 6 is tough for straight wood ash glazes ........... calcium oxide is just becoming really active in that range.  You might just have to bit the bulloet and go up to cone 9 if you want that look.

You need a source of a secondary active flux to help get the melt going at 6.  Unfortunately, that will change to "ash glaze" look a lot.

All of the raw materials you listed are viable options to supply the additional fluxes.  GB actually is mainly giving you a lower temperature glass former that will blend with the high temp silica and has the effect of acting like a flux .... but boron glass is softer than silica glass...... so there is some trade off there.

You could run a tri-axial with each of the materials you mentioned added to the two you used.... but only do the center points of the blend and make the steps maybe 5% changes in there.

best,

..........................john

John Baymore
Immediate Past President; Potters Council
Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

#23 jrgpots

jrgpots

The hands can express the soul

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • LocationHurricane, Utah

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:33 PM

That 1/3 1/3 1/3 combo is for cone 9-10.  Won't fly at 6.

Cone 6 is tough for straight wood ash glazes ........... calcium oxide is just becoming really active in that range.  You might just have to bit the bulloet and go up to cone 9 if you want that look.

You need a source of a secondary active flux to help get the melt going at 6.  Unfortunately, that will change to "ash glaze" look a lot.

All of the raw materials you listed are viable options to supply the additional fluxes.  GB actually is mainly giving you a lower temperature glass former that will blend with the high temp silica and has the effect of acting like a flux .... but boron glass is softer than silica glass...... so there is some trade off there.

You could run a tri-axial with each of the materials you mentioned added to the two you used.... but only do the center points of the blend and make the steps maybe 5% changes in there.

best,

..........................john

I think I will try frit 3124 blend first. Maybe this is the push I need to finish my gas conversion kikn.

Thanks for the the push....

Jed

#24 ChenowethArts

ChenowethArts

Senior Geek & Whimsical Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee - Where at least a few studios make something besides music.

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:25 AM

Jed,

I saw this CNN story about the Colorado town that seems to be buried in tumbleweed and thought of your annual cleaning/burning.  Is it this bad where you live?:
http://www.cnn.com/2...eweed-colorado/

BTW, I have washed the ash you sent me and should have it prepped for testing soon,

-Paul

Paul Chenoweth
Visit/Like me on Facebook
Connect on Twitter
Mostly Ceramics on Pinterest

#25 jrgpots

jrgpots

The hands can express the soul

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • LocationHurricane, Utah

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:24 AM

Yes, my neighbor has to dig himself out of 14 ft high tumbleweed piles across his house front after any wind storm. Remember,,,I live in a town called "Hurricane" for a reason.

I sent some ash to Mountain Pottery in Vitoria Austalia. That shop uses all types of ash in their glazes. They have posted many recipes using different types of ash. Hopefully they will get good results too.

Jed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users