Oh my, all the help I received here in the planning, purchasing, moving, building, firing of this thing! Am I ever thankful for this place.
Thought I'd share just a bit here. Details are on my blathering blog.
This is Big Anthony. I think his chimney is too big. But he works just fine.
I'm single-firing, and the process took about 21 hours, freezing cold to Cone Six.
He stalled at about 1950°F, and I fired the rest of the way with the addition of wood - which I'd planned to do, anyhow, for fun. Just didn't realize I'd have to do it.
Learning is a process, right? I completely screwed up the reduction I was hoping for; I only had four soda ports, located between the firebox and the shelves, and didn't get all of my soda introduced (near the end, the metal wand from the garden sprayer shot out of the sprayer, laying squarely in the firebox); and I accidentally crash-cooled it. But I still got some great teaching results, considering this was the first time I'd ever fired any non-electric kiln beyond a couple test propane/soda kilns.
I learned a lot - ohmyword, so much - from this firing. So much about firing this kiln, and firing kilns in general, about slips and glazes, placement of pots in the kiln, what my brain can and cannot compute on no sleep ...
In any event, it worked! I'm forever thankful for all the help I received here. It worked!