#1 JustPeachy

JustPeachy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationEastern Tennessee

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:34 PM

It feels like I'm not setting up a studio but an extra kitchen. I keep pulling out plastic bowls, my rolling pin, wooden skewers, ziplock baggies, plastic wrap, cookie cutters, etc.! I used to bake a lot until I became gluten intolerant. Now I don't use most of that stuff anymore so it's nice to put that stuff back in service.

#2 Joy pots

Joy pots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:40 PM

Hi, If you run out of stuff in your kitchen your local second hand store is a great resource. Lots of goodies there.

#3 Diane Puckett

Diane Puckett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 10 December 2013 - 05:48 PM

I didn't know I needed an immersion blender for the kitchen until I got one for the studio.
Diane Puckett
Dry Ridge Pottery

#4 JustPeachy

JustPeachy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:17 PM

I didn't know I needed an immersion blender for the kitchen until I got one for the studio.

I had an old one that I use for making soap that I donated to the cause...gave me a good reason to get a new upgrade for soaping!

I haven't tried a microplane yet but I suspect there is one in my future! 

#5 clay lover

clay lover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:25 PM

I am addicted to second hand store, since I started with clay. Great source of almost anything for the studio. Lots of kitchen things, and forms for slumping clay, Yesterdays find was the bathtub chair, it has adjustable legs so I can try out sitting on a slanted chair before I break for the CI $200 one! $4 at Good will. SCORE!

#6 Pam S

Pam S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationDurham, NC

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:25 AM

My first pottery instuctor told us in our first class, "if you don't like working in a kitchen, you won't like working in a studio." I think she hit the nail on the head. It's exact measuring, cleaning up and using your noodle to find new uses for items you have or can make use of.

"Saving just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

#7 Denice

Denice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationWichita, Kansas

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:08 AM

Microplane and zester great idea, I'm going to start looking for used ones at the DAV.  Denice

#8 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,065 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:34 AM

Yesterdays find was the bathtub chair, it has adjustable legs so I can try out sitting on a slanted chair before I break for the CI $200 one! $4 at Good will. SCORE!

Used one of these for a few years as a throwing stool. It has 3 adjustable legs and a triangular top allowing close position to wheel, and slant to aid in holding position. After buying a CI stool, I now use it to hold bats, or tools while throwing.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#9 Kohaku

Kohaku

Huffing cobalt over a Raku kiln

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationMoscow, Idaho

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:01 PM

Note to the happily married... indiscriminately  looting the kitchen can be a bad idea. The day that I hauled my wife's 60-year-old rolling pin (inherited from her grandmother) to the clay den, she almost chucked me out of the house...

Not all who wander are lost

#10 JustPeachy

JustPeachy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:30 PM

Today I liberated my old electronic scales. It does ounces and grams, very handy. :ph34r:

#11 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:50 PM

Only a little advice! Once in the pottery studio, leave it there! Put to better use there too.

It goes both ways, I was "losing a number of expensive corks , thought a rat may have been acquiring them, til I discovered that my partner was using them on the ends of dripper hoses and to regulate no. of holes in the seeder etc.! I happened to mention the cost of these corks, casually of course, and the use of no. of corks seem to have become as expected... Clay has also been used to temporarily seal oozing water tanks, and to increase the water holding nature of sandy garden soil.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users