59 replies to this topic

#41 ThisIsMelissa

ThisIsMelissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:50 PM

I'm anxious to try this glaze. It seems to be one that acts very differently if it's vertical, rather than horizontal.
At my supplier, one of the staff had a sculptural piece that she did in Ancient Jasper and it was amazing.

I'm wondering though, for those who've used it, do you think that this pic is accurate, from your experience?
Posted Image

#42 cracked pot

cracked pot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:03 PM

I'm anxious to try this glaze. It seems to be one that acts very differently if it's vertical, rather than horizontal.
At my supplier, one of the staff had a sculptural piece that she did in Ancient Jasper and it was amazing.

I'm wondering though, for those who've used it, do you think that this pic is accurate, from your experience?
Posted Image

It looks pretty much like my results but I would add that I place the pieces with this glaze in the middle of the bottom kiln shelf. It seems to need a slightly cooler location. I fire to cone 6.

#43 patinlago

patinlago

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:16 PM

I've been using this glaze over a year now and it didn't start out well. Here's what I found: First the clay makes a big difference. I settled on b-mix or cone 5 porcelain as I get consistently nice finishes. I also dip my pieces so I just hold them in for a 4 count. Fast fire to cone 5 as the engineer suggested in a previous post. the important thing is not to skimp on the glaze. It doesn't seem to matter where I place them in the kiln. I am a new potter so I am not speaking as an authority just experience. Good luck.

#44 stephentbell

stephentbell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 12:10 PM

I love Ancient Jasper. I brush it on and have achieved awesome rusty reds as well as deep-space blacks. Here are two pieces with Ancient Jasper brushed on in four heavy-ish coats. The lid on the urn has a particularly heavy 4th brush coat.

Electric to cone 6.
Attached File  AncJaspUrn.jpg   314.34KB   222 downloads

Attached File  AncJasp.jpg   37.13KB   205 downloads

#45 grayfree

grayfree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:52 AM

Hi I am a new potter of 6 months and have a little studio. I loved the idea of this glaze but have ruined many a piece with it. Even one of my teachers has not had much luck with it. I will agree that it has to go on thick ....It will look way to thick. I had one piece that came out beautiful with it. I put oatmeal on the inside of a utensil holder and anceint jasper on the outside. I put a little oatmeal on the lip and it really did nicely. Lots of blue cream and a little redish tinges here and there. Haven't been able to repeat.

#46 SunsetBay

SunsetBay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:08 PM

I like Ancient Jasper (and Potter's Choice glazes in general, though sometimes I feel they are too glossy on untextured pieces). Here are two examples of my usual results. I do a 9-hour Cone 6 glaze firing in a manual Skutt kiln (3 hours on low, 3 on medium, then turn to high; kiln-sitter shuts kiln off pretty reliably after 9 hours total). I haven't done anything special in terms of placing the pieces in the kiln. Oh, btw, the red inside the mug is Firebrick Red, not Ancient Jasper.
Attached File  Ancient Jasper Sample.jpg   1.09MB   136 downloads
Attached File  Ancient Jasper Sample 2.jpg   1.15MB   146 downloads
Also, when I had a question for Amaco and emailed it, I got a very swift and helpful response from the company.

#47 Bill T.

Bill T.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationGilmer, Texas

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:48 AM

I like Ancient Jasper (and Potter's Choice glazes in general, though sometimes I feel they are too glossy on untextured pieces). Here are two examples of my usual results. I do a 9-hour Cone 6 glaze firing in a manual Skutt kiln (3 hours on low, 3 on medium, then turn to high; kiln-sitter shuts kiln off pretty reliably after 9 hours total). I haven't done anything special in terms of placing the pieces in the kiln. Oh, btw, the red inside the mug is Firebrick Red, not Ancient Jasper.
Attached File  Ancient Jasper Sample.jpg   1.09MB   136 downloads
Attached File  Ancient Jasper Sample 2.jpg   1.15MB   146 downloads
Also, when I had a question for Amaco and emailed it, I got a very swift and helpful response from the company.

I am getting somewhat different results probably due to lack of texturing. This is over Firebrick on Laguna Speckled Buff. I like what it did for you too.

Attached Files

#48 teardrop

teardrop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:14 PM

We pulled this out of the kiln last night and were completely blown away.

2 (dipped) coats of PC Firebrick Red (from dry mix) on the bottom.

3 heavy/drippy coats of PC Ancient Jasper (straight from a well shaken bottle) applied with a bulb syringe on top. The stuff was globbed on liberally and the runs on the side were fat and thick.

The only surprise was that the saturation GOLD I placed on the top edges came out a silver/metallic. Though I LOVE what it did...that wasn't what I thought it was gonna do.

I will definetely be working more with this combo in the future!

teardrop

Attached Files

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. Dr. Seuss US author & illustrator (1904 - 1991)

#49 Lucille Oka

Lucille Oka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:44 PM

Tear,
Your vessel and choice of glazes is wonderful, just wonderful, bravo.

John 3:16
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life".

#50 teardrop

teardrop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:11 AM

More bad/newbie-made pottery glazed in Ancient Jasper

brushed on heavily (5 coats) at the top...lessening to 2 coats near the bottom....

hangtag in place...(thanks for the idea) and ready to be sold to people who evidently have even less of a clue what "good" pottery is :lol: than even I do...

yes...I'm funnin' with ya...sorta...

Attached Files

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. Dr. Seuss US author & illustrator (1904 - 1991)

#51 Pam S

Pam S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationDurham, NC

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:02 PM

Teardrop- Thanks for the inspiring photos of your use of this glaze (not to mention your wonderful pots!). I think I may need to revisit this glaze!

"Saving just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

#52 teardrop

teardrop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:35 AM

Yer welcome Pam!

It's an awesome glaze IMO. I think the problem most folks have is that they are far too shy in their application. This one likes to be applied very thickly. When you think you've put enough on...put more on. :lol:

fun stuff

teardrop

#53 Casey

Casey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:59 PM

I've been using this glaze over a year now and it didn't start out well. Here's what I found: First the clay makes a big difference. I settled on b-mix or cone 5 porcelain as I get consistently nice finishes. I also dip my pieces so I just hold them in for a 4 count. Fast fire to cone 5 as the engineer suggested in a previous post. the important thing is not to skimp on the glaze. It doesn't seem to matter where I place them in the kiln. I am a new potter so I am not speaking as an authority just experience. Good luck.

Thanks for mentioning that you dip for 4 - I am considering using AJ for a larger run of pots (wine goblets for me wedding actually!) and have so many to make that brushing would be a real time suck.

Any chance you could share your firing schedule also?
Thanks!

#54 asunta

asunta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Locationshreveport louisiana

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:09 AM

Wow! Ancient Jasper glaze has really started some interesting comments. And to think I started it!!. I salute Steve @ Amaco for the info stuffed response about this glaze and I learned tons from the other members of this happy clay club about firing etc. I love the look of this glaze and will continue to test it based on advise from all above. However, I'm still concerned about firing so hot so quickly. Am I not endangering the remaining ware in the kiln with such a speedy method?
Asunta

#55 patinlago

patinlago

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:28 PM

Thanks for mentioning that you dip for 4 - I am considering using AJ for a larger run of pots (wine goblets for me wedding actually!) and have so many to make that brushing would be a real time suck.

Any chance you could share your firing schedule also? I just fire like Steve @ Amaco said :cone 5, fast, hold for 5 min then let cool. I keep my top plug out until the kiln has stopped firing then put the top plug back in.

Thanks!

#56 patinlago

patinlago

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:29 PM

More bad/newbie-made pottery glazed in Ancient Jasper

brushed on heavily (5 coats) at the top...lessening to 2 coats near the bottom....

hangtag in place...(thanks for the idea) and ready to be sold to people who evidently have even less of a clue what "good" pottery is :lol: than even I do...

yes...I'm funnin' with ya...sorta...

beautiful. how much do you sell them for?

#57 patinlago

patinlago

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:33 PM

We pulled this out of the kiln last night and were completely blown away.

2 (dipped) coats of PC Firebrick Red (from dry mix) on the bottom.

3 heavy/drippy coats of PC Ancient Jasper (straight from a well shaken bottle) applied with a bulb syringe on top. The stuff was globbed on liberally and the runs on the side were fat and thick.

The only surprise was that the saturation GOLD I placed on the top edges came out a silver/metallic. Though I LOVE what it did...that wasn't what I thought it was gonna do.

I will definetely be working more with this combo in the future!

teardrop

what kind of clay are you using?

#58 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:16 AM

opps
Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#59 Lucille Oka

Lucille Oka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:42 AM

Okay here is a nice little video I found on YouTube 'JanicethePotter' shows her firing results for some commercial glazes not Ancient Jasper but others.

http://www.youtube.c...&feature=relmfu

I hope it works. I hope it encourages.

John 3:16
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life".

#60 Newmarket Potter

Newmarket Potter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:58 PM

Has anyone tried this glaze? I just took Ancient Jasper out of the kiln. It is a beautiful dark eggplant color, but not what it was supposed to be. I fired the the load to ^6 with a slow cool (medium down to low then off to finish) it was a load of only reds and red/blacks. Refiring perhaps or not firing it with reds? I think I need to change my user name to the Frustrated Firer!

I have had great success heavily applied on a buff glaze, with a 30 min. hold and firing to cone 5. Cone 6 always has been too high to get any true colors from the Potters Choice glazes. In addition to Ancient Jasper I've fired Rutile Blue, Chun Plum, and the Chun Plum over Rutile Blue. Again, all succeses were glazed heavily.

Newmarket Potter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users