#21 Rebekah Krieger

Rebekah Krieger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:00 PM

I read these responses to my husband. The positive thing is that he sees exactly where I am coming from because he works a full time job, but his passion is with fiction writing in the early mornings before work and on the weekends. He has had success with it and has won literary contests.  

When I compile all of the responses I get this: I have no trouble with the business aspect, the people, the sales, the planning, the flexibility and ability to market myself in a saturated market. I have strong people skills, I love public speaking and can sell milk to a cow.  

What I don't have is years of experience or a college degree in pottery.  My work needs improving If I am going to compete. My business/people skills put me at an advantage but my lack of experience a disadvantage. We decided that I should work a low stress job, but keep my hours low so I am able to have energy to focus on pottery on a daily basis.  By the time the kids are older, hopefully my skill will enough that I could push myself more and shift my focus.  It takes some pressure away to think that I am just focussing on improving my skill and that there are no strings attached.  (except for my heart strings) 

Learning On my Kick wheel with my vintage Paragon (from the late 1960's)

#22 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 3,025 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:53 PM

What I don't have is ................. or a college degree in pottery.  

This will come acroass strange coming from me.... but it is not the DEGREE that is important (unless you want to teach at the public school or college level)........ it is the deeper EDUCATION in art and ceramics that is important.

best,

.................john

John Baymore
Immediate Past President; Potters Council
Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

#23 oldlady

oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:27 PM

sounds as though you have a good start this way, best of both worlds.  enjoy what you do every day.

• GEP likes this
"putting you down does not raise me up."

#24 Stephen

Stephen

novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:49 AM

There are no instant experts in pottery, no instant masters or grandmasters. There appears not to be on record any case (including Bernard Leach) where a person reached grandmaster level with less than about a decade's intense preoccupation with clay. We would estimate, very roughly, that a master has spent perhaps 10,000 to 50,000 hours staring at clay forms…

... Herbert Simon and William Chase (I changed 'chess' to 'clay' but hey same difference right :) )

#25 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,090 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:15 PM

I taught HS art for years. Sometimes dreaming about the MFA and making it big in the art world, but always came back to the reality of family, my kids, loving wife etc. When I went through a mid life thing at 34, I decided to get off my butt and do more with the ceramics, and other facets of my life.  Went back to school for the MS in Ed, started up a studio doing shows, shook up my department and the classes I taught by adding Computer animation and rewriting other classes. Over the years I berated myself for not having the confidence to go it on the pottery alone- kind of taking the easy road in the same type of environment I had grown up  in  . . . school. When I retired, I even joked that I had finally graduated. Do people not go for the ring, because they are unsure of themselves and afraid of the fall? Is it all a matter of how much confidence you have in yourself that makes you take the leap or stand on the side.

After all of those years, I came to realize, that teaching was where I was meant to be. I loved the work, the kids, the amount of freedom I had in my classroom, and the respect I had from students and peers. Looking back, very little I would change. Now that I have graduated though I hope to learn even more about the love I have had for years. . .ceramics. I never really wanted to be an artist, just good at something.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users